Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Another Recovery Project

 It has been four weeks since my total hip replacement surgery. I am happy to report that my recovery is coming along very well. 

It has been about four days since I have had to move from my bed to my recliner at night. I am sleeping much better now, and I'm having less nerve pain and almost no hip pain. My walker is now parked in the garage, used only for outside outings. Inside I use only my walking stick, and sometimes not even that. Yesterday I did all of the dusting upstairs and down stairs, dust mopped the hardwood floors, and I am now the chief chef at dinner prep, with Tom being my gofer. I still do my physical therapy exercises three times a day and ice three times a day. Other than that, I can be up and about. 

That is why I need projects. Today I finished my hip recovery project, making placemats to go with my Valentine table topper. 



I haven't been to a fabric store in a long time, so once again I dug through my fabric scraps to see what I could put together. 

There wasn't much left of the hearts fabrics, so I looked for pinks that were of a compatible hue. 

And yes, there are stories. And this time you get pictures.

When Jill began teaching first grade in Colorado, she asked me to make her some holiday themed vests. I used the heart fabric for the back and the lining of this Valentine's Day vest.


The solid pink and the floral pink are from one of my early creations for Irene, for her third birthday, I think, which was also Easter. I had fun with my embroidery program. 


I see that that floral fabric also showed up on a patchwork dress I made for Irene when she was a little older. Some time ago, when Tom was playing with a photography program, he made a photo montage of some of the clothes I had made for Irene. You can see the pink dress, right of center, top, and the patchwork dress on the right, next to it.  


Of course the Heidi dress, bottom center, is still everyone's favorite. There were quite a few more for birthdays and Christmases. 

I think it was about age nine that Irene announced that she didn't need anymore fancy dresses. I could accessorize her jeans instead. After that I embroidered some tee shirts for a while.

And now, my scrap box is getting down to just small chunks. What to do? Maybe pot holders?


15 comments:

  1. Those are sure pretty, Linda. I love the dresses all together like that, and your pink and hearts placemats are divine. And I am so glad to hear how well you're doing! I've been wondering the past couple of days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to hear that you are progressing with the hip replacement. I've seen people come back skating after hip and knee replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The place mats are lovely!! I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of Irene wearing cute clothes that you made for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those dresses are so pretty and a great creative hobby. I am glad you are progressing nicely with recovery from your hip replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all cute dresses! Your placemats are sure nice! Good to hear you are improving everyday:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those were the days. I bought small selvage pieces at JoAnn's on the way home from school and could make a dress for my granddaughter in the evening. That is until she was about six and said, "Grandma, why do you make me so many dresses?" She just wanted T-shirts and pants like the other girls wore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lucky and happy granddaughter - wonderful outfits made by you! You are probably the most industrious person I "know". You garden, cook and sew and yet you have time for soccer games, gatherings, and outings. Good to hear that your recovery is coming along so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very gifted! I have no craft talent and it's a major regret.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These dresses are very nice.
    I’m glad you are getting better.
    The placemats are well done for Valentine.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work and lucky Irene. I had a moment of sadness when she outgrew fancy dresses, but that's how it goes.
    I made mug mats for the women in the craft group. We always had a holiday party pre-COVID. An easy project that used up small scraps.
    Sounds like your recovery is going very well. A big hip-hip-hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness you are good. Those dresses are adorable and I am amazed that you have kept the scraps all these years. So good that you are progressing so well. You will be digging around in the garden in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are always great grand daughters to come...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so creative. I am happy to hear you are coming along so well after your surgery. Sleep is good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your visit and your comment and for adding me to your blog list!
    I wish you a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad I didn't completely miss this post. Wasn't Irene the cutest little girl! All the dresses are beautiful and she looks like a little princess wearing them. You make such pretty things. I love the placemats!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.