Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Catching Up and Making Progress

 I was going to post about the weekend on Monday. Now it's Wednesday. I guess I have managed to keep myself occupied. 

So, about the weekend. I do remember that on Saturday, in the morning, we drove to Tacoma to get our first COVID vaccine. We had been scheduled for a clinic in Puyallup, but the day before we got a call telling us that location had not received their vaccine shipment, and so our location was changed. We breathed a sigh of relief that we were not just cancelled. There was a long line but all went smoothly. We got our "badges". 


Then, since there were no balloons or lollipops, we found our own reward. As I said on Facebook, Google Maps knows where all of the Starbucks are. 


On Sunday we went for a walk in the park. I am now just using my walking stick, and sometimes Tom's arm, to ambulate. 

Later in the day, I watched all of the Super Bowl: the play on the field, most of the commercials, the pregame and half time shows. I did give up at the two minute warning. I was done. It was all disappointing, except for the pregame performances. I liked the raining lemons commercial- 2020 was a lemon of a year.  I had never heard of The Weekend, thought it must be a group, not just one guy. I thought he should be referred to not as The Weekend, but as The Weak Middle. The game itself was a blow out and a let down.

On Monday, after a very slow start, we got our light housekeeping and the laundry done. Then in the afternoon I decided it was time to start on our taxes, so I spent the afternoon going through files and organizing all of the data I would need.

On Tuesday I logged into my TurboTax account and got started. I was prepared to itemize our deductions, but after all of that work, we still were better off with the standard deduction. I was surprised to be all done, and the filing submitted, by our 1:00 lunch hour. 

Tuesday afternoon I baked bread. Right, that is not something I often do. In fact, except for baking the Christmas bread, I haven't  made yeast bread for years. But every year I buy yeast and then don't use most of it. The weather is getting cold and it's a good time for soups and stews. I always remember my mother's bread sticks, served with homemade soup. I wanted that. 



Now that I look at this photo I have to giggle at the shape of some of these. By shaping the dough time I was in a hurry.

I served the bread sticks with the last portion of the Christmas turkey soup, out of the freezer, and salad. The bread sticks were hot out of the oven and we ate them with a little dollop of butter on each bite, just like we did as kids around my mother's table. 

Yum.

The rest of the bread sticks are now in the freezer, ready to be thawed and reheated when I make the soups and stews I am planning to make in the coming weeks. I am planning to go grocery shopping with Tom tomorrow morning, the first time since my surgery.  We will lay in supplies. By then it might be snowing. 


17 comments:

  1. Life is returning to normal for you again with your recovery. Starbucks and fresh baked bread are wonderful treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for vaccinations! Your bread sticks look great! I bet they are tasty! Inside the grocery store...I am impressed....I want to go inside so badly...but it is too scary yet.
    WE got our furnace and heat about noon today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. snowing? you've got to be kidding. glad you are up and about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try every day to sign up for the vaccine, which seems to be in very short supply in Whatcom County. I'm glad you were able to get your first shot, and that you are doing so well after surgery. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to hear you were able to get your vaccine shot. Your recovery seems to be going very well.

    The breadsticks look delicious...I've never made them. I don't make bread because I'm lousy at shaping the dough but I do make buns fairly often.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Treating myself to the Sbux drive thru is about as close to dining out as I get these days. The breadsticks look incredible! My mom got her first shot at the Puyallup Fair a while back, and Dad is scheduled at a Safeway near our house on the 17th. I'm a bit concerned about getting them their second ones though, especially when I hear of places running out of vaccine. (I live in Puyallup)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting your first shot. I got mine also and know the relief. You did better than I on the Super Bowl--I only made it to the 3rd quarter. I hate blow outs and with you on who in the world is the Weekend?
    So happy you are healing and recovering so well. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you got your first dose of the vaccine. I got mine last week. I think Pierce County has done a pretty good job figuring out the logistics of doing mass vaccinations. When I went it was very efficient, not the least bit chaotic. We decided to stagger ours by a couple of weeks so that we don't both end up with side effects at the same time. There have so far been two planned for this week, and there should be more next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know you're doing so well. Your breadsticks look fine to me. I'll bet they were delicious with soup.. It's so cold here I think I might bake tomorrow and warm the kitchen up. I hope shopping goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bread sticks hot out of the oven and butter on each bite, yum. I got my first vaccine jab two weeks ago, here in California. It was all done outdoors and everyone stayed in their cars, which seemed very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been very busy! It.s a good thing you had your vaccine, here they are out of stock. The bread looks very good.
    I have had a surgery myself in September and just started to go out at weekends with my husband, I can.t drive yet so it is very long!
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What I like best about frozen breadsticks is reheating them until they get crispy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sure looks delicious. I as thinking of attempting bread...have not done it for decades, but yeast is still not available in my one store. Glad you got your shot!! Once you get registered things do seem to go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched every minute of the Super Bowl and loved Tom Brady's every move!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed this post, like always. Glad you are feeling better and doing so much. You sound almost back to normal. Happy too that you got the first vaccine. We go the 18th for our second one. Be glad when it's over. Your bread sticks look perfect and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the break sticks! I can almost smell them cooking! Nothing like fresh bread out of the oven. It almost inspired me to make some bread. However, it's unseasonably hot down here in Florida, so I think I'll leave baking until another day. We were inundated with Super Bowl down here - worse than when the Seahawks were in the race. Going out to do the great bird count today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on getting your shot too, Linda. Art and mom both have had their 2nd shot and I just got my first Pfizer. We didn’t get any fun things to commemorate getting our shots, but we sure are happy.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.