Saturday, March 6, 2021

Forcing Spring

 That title might be a bit misleading. Here in the coastal Pacific Northwest, Spring doesn't need forcing. It comes on its own, early and slowly and long lasting, with bursts of sun and bouts of wind and rain. 

But while things are blooming in our garden, they are not blooms good for picking, and besides, I want them outside where they will last and linger outside my windows. But I forgot to buy flowers at the grocery store and I needed something for my kitchen table. 

I decided to pick a green bouquet. It is March, green month, or here in early spring, green and yellow month.

I went out with my little snippy scissors and a basket to cut bits of various textures and shades of green. Then I remembered the Forsythia. While still in tight but outside, if you cut some sprigs and bring them inside, you can force them to bloom early. 

Thursday.


Saturday. 

Of course while I was outside I noticed other things. Some of you asked about my new header. If you didn't see my response, I will share it again. 

This is our new Hellebore, "Ice and Roses Pink", that we bought when we bought our primroses.

This newer variety holds its head up better, so you can see its lovely face. 

This older, white hellebore has been blooming for weeks already, beckoning the crocuses to emerge. 

Crocuses are not very persistent here, so we appreciate the few that have rebloomed. 



Several of our other, newer Hellebores are slowly opening.


Planted beside the front walk and visible from inside the house, they will slowly reveal their pretty faces and linger long into spring. 
It's officially winter for several more weeks, and the weather can still play tricks, but Hellebores are tough as well as beautiful, a good combination. 


15 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, Linda! Your hellebores are just spectacular. I noticed them on your header immediately. You're so lucky to have spring arrive early. My daughter and son are still in the middle of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty flowers! I wish I could grow a Forsythia here, I had one, it bloomed one year and then the voles ate the roots:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have more color and blooms than I'll have all year and you work harder than I'll work all year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hellebores. I think I will get a black one for a change.
    I wish you a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing spring...we are warm and a few blooming trees are showing up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bouquet seems perfect on that table topper. And the Hellebores are just beautiful, new and old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a texture person so I really like your green bouquet that holds promise. My Forsythia are still brown sticks or I'd copy you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need some of those hellebores; they are beautiful! It has seemed breezy lately; my wind chime fell and I need to put it back up. Great idea for the centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful flowers! Thank you for introducing me to them. I will look for some in the stores when I get around to it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've been promised some sunny days in the week ahead and I'm hoping that will bring more early flowers into bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those hellebores are simply gorgeous. I like your green and yellow centerpiece as well.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your green bouquet and placemat were so outstanding! Thank you for the garden view and sharing your flower treasures with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bouquet is gorgeous! And I love that tabletopper! Is there a pattern for it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful bouquet! You have so many beautiful blooming plants. I'm anxious to head home, and your posts make me realize I'm probably missing crocus, daffodils, forsythia and probably a lot more even in my much smaller flower garden.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.