Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Sewing With Discipline

 This blog title is sort of tongue in cheek. In my last post many of you commented on my March table topper, and someone even asked me if I have a pattern for it. 

I sort of laughed. Thank you for the compliments, by the way, but I thought the pattern comment was sort of funny because it has been quite a while since I made anything from a pattern. I just make stuff up.

The fabrics here are scraps from I dress I made for Jill when she was little, from the shamrock vest I made for Jill when she was in her early years of teaching, and various other scraps. 


The back side has scraps from a set of placemats I made for Jill for Earth Day/April. 

I have made a lot of placemats and table toppers and my scrap box  is dwindling down to smaller chunks of fabric. I like to play around with colors and shapes so I thought it might be time to try some real quilt blocks. I don't want to make a quilt, but following the rules and doing precision cutting and sewing might slow me down, give me some projects I can work on when it's raining, and I can always just turn them into potholders. 

I bought this book quite a few years ago when I was taking sewing classes after I bought my new sewing machine after I retired from teaching.  It was especially helpful for learning how to sew bindings onto quilted pieces. 

I got it out and began to study things like how to make a nine block on an eight inch piece, and especially how much seam allowance to add when cutting squares into two or four triangles. I had to carefully measure a 1/4 inch seam allowance and put down a tape line on my machine. I was never that careful before. Then I selected a quilt block pattern and tried it. I only had to rip out two seams. It's tricky remembering which direction pieces go once you have picked them up. I am learning tricks to not repeat those mistakes. 

My corners aren't perfect but they're not bad. Doing a whole quilt would be daunting though because of the necessary precision needed for cutting and sewing. I have great respect for quilters. 

I have selected another quilt block pattern and fabrics to make it. It might be a while before I get back to it though. The sun is shining.

 Today I pruned the roses and then went for a walk in the park. I can walk a mile now, but progress is slow. My hip is pretty good but my back is still stiff and now my knee is nagging at me. It will just have to wait, though. I won't be doing two surgeries in one year again. 

And when I do have to be laid up again  in rehab, I can always make potholders. :-)


13 comments:

  1. Nice quilt square! Put several together and make a table runner! Or potholders like you said:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your March table topper is a very nice mix of green fabrics.
    The pink star block looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can already see one of those quilting machines in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to recycle fabrics that most people would throw away. You not only keep the fabric but the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precision is the precise reason I won't even attempt quilting. My mom created beautiful quilts but I haven't the patience or the talent...I'll stick to crocheting and knitting.

    Potholders sound like a good way to learn. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that pretty pink star. I have never tried making a quilt and thought I might save that part of my life for when I get old. Which is always five years at least older than I am. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried quiliting once and it drove me nuts to try to make everything match-your pot pads are lovely-you have the touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too admire quilters. I don't have the patience to do their exacting work. Your place mats and runner look mighty fine to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so mad at myself for missing Jill's birthday. Will you give her a Happy Birthday wish for me? I love seeing all that food she eats. Jill must eat right every other day of the year to stay so slim and pretty. I love the pink star quilt block. Your sewing always looks perfect. I am not a quilter! We have had several days of sun now and I can not stay inside. I finished cuting back the rose bushes yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always in awe of all the creations you come up with Linda. These are gorgeous! I remember those totally awesome dresses you used to make for Irene and Jill too. I hope you'll be totally healed soon. You are so strong and determined. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a great sense of color and you sew just fine! You can make anything, and you do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your work, I tried and did two, but I find it very difficult. I am trying once more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Personally, I don't think you need to follow patterns. I love the ones you designed yourself, but it looks like a lot of precision went into them. I like things that are unique and personal, and identifying all the fabrics and history of each piece means a lot!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.