Saturday, February 3, 2024

Settling Into February

 

Many of us here in the northern states are relieved when we have made it through January. Even if the weather hasn't changed much, it's getting a little lighter in the late afternoon. Spirits are lifted. 

It's time to put away all that red and green, buy pretty pink grocery store flowers, and find the February table mats.

I saw my shadow on Ground Hog's day. All that means here is that it isn't raining, but we are loving the several days of sunshine we are getting. Tom is working in the garden.

I am working on Project Me, and it is going well enough. I am noticing a slight improvement in my walking without a cane/stick. I did 16 minutes with the weights today, plus another .90 miles with my trekking poles, plus all of my PT exercises. On the full routine days, like today, that takes up a chunk of my time. 

I bought some dahlia bulbs this week to replace those we lost. It will be a while before they go into the ground. 


This week, while riding my stationary bike, I finished a good book, The Bookwoman's Daughter. It is a sequal to The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek, by Kim M. Richardson. The author is a native of Kentucky and writes historical fiction about her Appalachian homeland. There are strong themes of miscegeny and misogyny, as local women struggle against racial prejudice and suppression of women in the 50's and 60's. They overcome! Makes you glad you live when you do and boosts your courage to fight for what you believe in. Women are still fighting for our rights. 

There's some sunshine left in this day so I'm going back outside to soak in a little more and check in on Tom. 

See you later.

11 comments:

  1. We had a little sun today, too, and it's still quite mild temperature wise. I'm so glad to hear of the success of Project You. Those books sound quite interesting, but as hard as it is for me to read any more, I probably won't read them. But you never know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started teaching women had less rights than men. It took a while until we got maternity leave and same salaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved "The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek". I'll have to see if the sequel is available at the library. I'm always looking for a new book. I just finished "Where Women are Kings", and am ready for a more uplifting book. Your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cloudy, gray and rainy here in dreary Saskatchewan today. That's very odd weather for this time of year for us. The groundhog in Ontario (ours died a few years back) did see his shadow, however we already know spring will be further away than six weeks. Perhaps 10-12 would be more likely.
    I'm happy you're making some progress on your walking. Sadly, it seems that women's rights, as well as other vulnerable groups are losing ground. Not only in your country but ours too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray for February! I will let my 103 year old friend know about the Bookwoman books. She loves to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend of mine went with her husband to look at a new car. The salesman sat them in the showroom where there were many other deals going on at multiple tables, plus there was loud music playing. My friend said she could not hear and was there somewhere quiet they could discuss the deal. She was ignored while the salesperson kept talking directly to her husband. She got up and said she needed to go outside. Her husband then said, "This is not working out and my wife and I need to go to lunch." They are not going back to that dealership. We still have a way to go! But standing up for oneself and having a supportive partner are good things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was lovely to see the sunshine today but the breeze had a real bite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice that you don't need a cane or stick to walk. Glad you still bike and can finish a book at the same time. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like your pink flowers! I went to walk yesterday I am as we say here »as slow as a snail 🐌 «  but I could walk about two km with my walking sticks. When I go shopping I can sometimes walk without a stick depending on how I feel.
    Our Camélias are starting to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! I'm glad you're able to keep working on your walking and strength training. Sigh... I need to get "on the stick" too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.