Friday, February 9, 2024

Winter Gardening

 

Tom has been doing a lot of work in the garden, "making hay" while the sun sometimes shines. 

Winter gardening means pruning and digging. Tom has pruned the hydrangeas and the Buddleias (butterfly bush). These are just a few.



The bigger prunings have been hauled to the driveway, awaiting borrowing a pickup to haul them to the dump to be made into compost. I actually helped a little to cut them up. :-)


The digging involves lifting out rampant ground covers and no longer appreciated plants in order to renew beds. 



And then, yes, he does get to rest. 



And what am I doing?

Well, yesterday I did our income taxes and got them accepted by the IRS. I make sure to go out and praise Tom's work. I cook his dinner. And I work on Project Me, which is going only so-so. I took these photos today while carrying around 8 pounds on my wrist. I do have to be careful not to hurt something else. 

After our breakfast with friends today, we went grocery shopping and found Dungeness Crab on sale. I bought wine and brie cheese and we will have a crab fest for dinner. Yum!

And tomorrow we are going on a field trip. All work and no play makes for a dull life. 


6 comments:

  1. That is a lot of work for one garden but the results are worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed that Tom can get down on his knees like he does. Neither one of us has been able to do that for some time. I hope you had a lovely crab fest and a great field trip Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom clearly has a method to his efforts. The tarp is such a good idea as it keeps him from getting damp on the ground.
    Enjoy your field trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will also be weeding in our neglected lawn which has 3' high weeds. It is actually easy to pull them out when the dirt is dry but lately we have had a lot of rain. Great for our trees and vegetables but terrible for the grass because I neglected taking care of emerging weeds who have now become a mess of overgrown invaders. Fortunately, weeding is one of my favorite pasttimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lot of work but the payoff is huge. Hope you both enjoyed your crab fest and excursion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dinner plan has my mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.