Saturday, August 31, 2024

September

 I looked up some September poems, but they all spoke of "golden", and on this first day of September here in my garden the grass is spring green. That's what days of rain in late August will do.

Now it's on it's way to HOT. That's September here, days when school kids will lose their coats because they wear them to school for the cold mornings and throw them on the ground at first recess, forgetting them because they no longer need them...until tomorrow morning. 

Yes, school has started or is starting now that September is here. No school shopping for me anymore. But yesterday I did have to pay the bills and do the monthly accounting, an end of month ritual. 

I see that another week has gone by since I posted. How can that be? There was working in the yard and doing stuff, I guess. On Wednesday Jill and the kids came for dinner, a gathering I requested before everybody gets too busy. Irene is home from her Girl Scout Camp Counselor job. She reports that while some groups of kids were fun and she enjoyed being with the other counselors, she had some very nasty experiences with middle school girls, and will be looking for different employment next summer. 

Isaac will be taking online classes while he sits idly during down time at Boeing, which there apparently is too much of.  Soon they may be on strike.  

Jill has been back to work in her office in the school district administrative office. All three report breakdowns in communications in the multiple layers of supervisors in the administrative chain of command.

It was really good to spend time with them and catch up. We will see them on again Sunday when we go to Whidbey Island for the annual Phosie-Gertie family picnic.  I baked a cake.

I haven't made a chocolate zucchini cake for several years because we just haven't had much success with zucchini in the garden. I even asked a friend to bring me one from her garden because I usually don't let my few get big. 

But I did grow one this year finally and now the house smells really good of chocolate and cinnamon. It will get a chocolate glaze when it is cooled.

Now that it is late symmer the sedums are showing color.
And attracting bees. 

Fall blooming hardy cyclamen are popping out of the ground. 
White is a color.


And so is green, accented by hardy fuchsias and Abutilon/flowering maple. 

Happy September, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. You still have lush green foliage. I think I hear a bit of the back to school longings here? Yes , same here. The kids lose their jackets in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy September to you too. Your garden is still looking great in spite of the heat. I wish for cooler days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a gorgeous garden, Linda. Thank you so much for the pictures, which always take me right there with you in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks delicious.
    Good that your grandkids and daughter have had interesting things to discuss with you. God bless you and your family, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isaac is smart to take classes while things are slow or heading towards a strike. Ah...middle year school girls can be the meanest creatures on the earth...especially when they travel in packs.
    The garden looks wonderful, so lush and full of colour. We are just starting to see some of the leaves turning, but harvest is in full swing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not green here, Linda. But love seeing yours. And that cake does look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy September and great catching up with your young ones! The school year begins. That is a season all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy September to you! For us holidays will begin soon! I also have little cyclamens in the garden. Your cake looks very tasty with the chocolate glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy September! I do like that sedum, your garden looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy September! If that is Autumn Charm Sedum it is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.