Thursday, August 15, 2024

Forest Bathing

On Wednesday Tom and I both worked hard in the garden. On Thursday we needed a change of venue. We needed to stay active, but only moderately so. We decided to visit the Rhodendron Species Foundation not too far away in Federal Way. We would get a walk in the woods, a "cultivated forest", and visit the Bonsai Collection too.


It isn't bloom time for most of the plants in the garden, but it is full of wonderful green things. 

Giant leaves of magnolias and rhodendrons. 
Lots of paths to choose from.
The forest floor covered with moss and groundcovers and ferns. 

Forest bamboo

Lots of places to sit, and I took advantage of them. 
Old rhodendrons

Ginger in bloom
Which way?
May Apple

Hydrangeas, species, not the fancy hybred kinds. 




Other wise known as Octrich fern


Nurse stump, with it's mossy garden

A later fruiting May Apple



All that's left from this field of blue poppies. We have been here to see them in bloom. They are very special. 

The Pond is covered in green growth too. 





Created some years ago now, the Stumpery stumps are almost covered now with ferns and ground covers and forest floor plants. 












Climbing hydrangea








Wonderful bark on the Stewartia







I'll  save the Bonsai for another post. This is way too long already. I just never know what to cut out. :-/

Then we went to find a Starbucks for lunch and coffee. After all, it was a "treat" day. 

9 comments:

  1. That's a very different garden where they use trees and a forest. Nice with all the various greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That climbing Hydrangea is awesome looking. I tried several times to grow the Blue Poppies, I ordered seeds from Alaska...no luck with germination...so it was fun to see an entire area of them:) You had a nice day out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful visit with you via your great pictures. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a magical place! What is the name of the colorful flowers in your header? I see them around KC and wonder if they'll grow well in my garden. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those colorful plants are annual Impatiens. The light colored foliage behind them is a variety of plectranthus.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I was hoping they were the flowers that came back up every year. They certainly spread from their little beginnings.

      Delete
  5. Too much walking for me. My poly arthralgia says "No."

    ReplyDelete
  6. The overcast and hazy weather makes for wonderful pictures! Such eye candy, mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know there were climbing hydrangeas?
    Very nice place to visit it must be a nice outing.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.