Saturday, September 21, 2024

A Beautiful Last Day of Summer

 It wasn't an early start to this September 21st. We slept in and then I had to do my hour long "long program" of physical therapy. We were on our way by 11:00 this morning, headed for the Des Moines Marina and the Des Moines Farmer's Market. 

The sun was shining. People were shopping and visiting and having a good time. Although we didn't meet anyone we actually knew, we met lots of people who became "friends for the day". We had so many fun conversations and exchanges. 

There were flowers.




There was produce. We bought corn on the cob and little cucumbers. 

There were baked goods. I bought almond croissants to bring home, a cranberry scone for Tom and a chocolate dipped coconut macaroon for me. I had to wait in line since this booth was so popular. I wondered what happened to Tom. Turns out he was talking with a wood working craftsman. I guess that balances out the time I spent talking to a fabric crafter.  Eventually we ended up at The Quarterdeck, a cafe on the marina, where we sat in the sunshine and enjoyed lattes with our bakery treats. 

Such incredibly blue skies and calm waters. 

We sat by the docks for a while and then moved on until we came to a performer, and man with a lovely voice, singing with his guitar. We were leaving after he finished the song he had written when he started singing " Hallelujah". Oh, my. So beautiful. We sat back down to listen. 

I was filled with a warm glow that lasted me all afternoon as we returned home, where I harvested and chopped basil for the freezer and used surplus tomatoes to make some spaghetti sauce to freeze. 

Dinner was easy, left over chicken pesto pasta and fresh sliced tomatoes. College football kept me company. Both Washington universities, Cougars and Huskies,  are winners this weekend. Oregon State Beavers look to be on the way to victory. 

This has been a perfect last day of summer. 

Happy Autumn. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh all those flowers are a treat for the eyes! Looks like a fun outing! Happy Fall:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.