Friday, September 6, 2024

Settling In To September

 It's hot again. It's officially 87 at 3:00 but it might go higher. It will cool down only slightly for the weekend. 

After our breakfast with friends, Tom spent several hours helping Irene pack up and load the U-Haul truck that she and Jill will be driving to Bellingham tomorrow to move her into her apartment in Bellingham. They have been collecting used furnishings for her new abode. She will soon start her sophomore year at Western Washington University. 

After Tom got back home he has gone outside in the heat to water plants and take care of his latest batch of geranium cuttings.

I managed to do the weekly grocery shopping by myself this morning, something I have not done since the parade of surgeries started several years ago. I survived nicely, but that was my big effort for the day. 

The brugmansia on the patio is finally blooming.




Beneath it the "Danger Garden" is looking good.  These plants all like the heat. 

Be careful what you touch. Ouch!

Also on the patio, some Canas are finishing while others are just starting to bloom.

The Blackeyed Susan vine is happy. 

So far these Hostas are not getting burnt up. 
I finally had enough zucchini to make a batch of zucchini bread this week. I am freezing most of it in half loaves, but we are eating one half.  It's hard to work on weight loss when there are so many good things to eat. When I called my sister the other day she told me she had to go to the store to get saltine crackers because she just HAD to have fried zucchini, with sliced tomatoes of course. I have switched to Panko and parmesan coated baked zucchini "chips". We are eating tomatoes with most meals now. 

Saturday and Sunday will be sports days, at least for me. I watch more sports than Tom does. The Sounders play Saturday late afternoon, followed by WSU Cougar football. The UW Huskies play at 12:30 so I'll watch some of it. On Sunday the Seahawks play their NFL season opener. All of this is on TV for me, a good way to handle the heat. 

Yesterday I scribbled a list of topics on a sticky note, and now I can't read one of the items, so I guess that's it for now. :-/

Have a good weekend.


9 comments:

  1. I remember the days of hauling kids to university apartments. It's a little different when you're organizing someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really hot 99, in our town today. Your flowers are gorgeous. I gave up on grocery shopping and ordered online and had them delivered. Pretty handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are cool now but will warm up in a few days, your heat must be coming this way. The Brugmansia is looking good, as is your Black eyed Susan vine:) Do what you enjoy, life is too short! I hope Irene has a great year at school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen a brugmansia! They look like big trumpet vine flowers! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't do well in the heat, either. I sure hope it lets up soon. Your plants are, as always, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is one for all seasons. I love the fall colours of the Black Eyed Susan and Canas. The danger garden is quite the collection.
    Enjoy your weekend of sports!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always surprises me when Seattle is hotter than Hawaii. It IS hot here, but typical of summer and I have air conditioning when it gets too muggy. Most of the plants love it but I must water twice a day. I friend gave me a big tree bush plant called night blooming jasmine. I has recovered from being transplanted and now has bunches of little white trumpet like flowers. Only at night, the blooms give off the most heavenly scent - like a perfume that is seductive and sweet. It does seem to like the summer heat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Angel's Trumpet is so lovely. Likewise the Canna Lily which is quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember making zucchini bread decades ago in Chicago. Sigh... I would love some now. Your plants always look so very healthy and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.