Thursday, September 12, 2024

Tomatoes and Zucchini, Hornets and Politics.

We went for my mile plus walk this morning and then I went out into the garden to finish cleaning up the edges of the lawn, a job I started Tuesday. I knew there was a hornet's nest near the Rhodendron bush but I thought I was far enough away from it when I pulled on a binder weed trailing through the bushes. I wasn't. I was swarmed. I got out of there as fast as I could but they got me through my gloves and my long sleeve shirt. I think I was lucky to escape with only three stings.



There's another on on the index finger of my other hand. They are swelling up nicely now and as the hurting decreases the itching will start. I took a Benadryl, and am taking it easy for a while. I have a haircut appointment this afternoon.

Not everything is bad though. I thought Kamala Harris did a masterful job during Tuesday's debate. Donald Trump was his usual lying self, but since he can't handle losing, he has now convinced his supporters that the debate was "rigged". That's always his excuse. Sadly many believe him. 


I made zucchini bread again yesterday. It was nice to get a crop this year, but now the vines are already shutting down. I froze both loaves, but one I cut in half to freeze and that gave me a chance to cut a thin slice to taste, Yum!

As you can see, we have a basket of tomatoes on the counter, and lots more on the vines. There will be tomatoes and cottage cheese for lunch every day now, and sliced tomatoes for dinner, with or without basil and fresh mozzarella cheese. We have lots of basil in the garden.

Yesterday I had a phone appointment with my bone doctor and we agreed to schedule knee replacement surgery in January or February. In the meantime I am trying to get my hip problems and balance improved. "Keep doing stuff." Just maybe not more yard work today. :-(

9 comments:

  1. Linda, so sorry about the hornet stings... but your tomatoes and zucchini bread looks delicious. And I also think that Kamala did a really good job in the debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hornet stings hurt so bad! Ice helps with the pain and swelling. Hope Tom can get rid of the nest. The ones in the ground are difficult. Good that you have an idea when you will have the knee replacement..so you can plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hornets are awful and their stings hurt so much.
    Tomatoes are abundant here too and appear at every meal. Except breakfast LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ow! Those stings look awful, but hopefully we'll see you much improved soon. And the bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn those wasps, the swelling looks painful, but I'm glad you only got stung three times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite the hornet stings, you really eat well, don't you? Love that Zucchini Bread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use lobelia on bites because it draws out poisons, etc. I don't know if we have hornets in Hawaii. And I have never had zucchini bread. I will be on the lookout for it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're walking a mile! I want to try that one day this week, if the rain stops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OUCH with those stings! Yikes! Three of them! I hope you heal quickly. I love zucchini bread but haven't made it in years and years, especially since I don't grow and have an over abundance of zucchini in my garden. And as for Trump supporters... I just don't understand how a good percentage can think he won it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.