Monday, January 24, 2011

New Mailbox

This post is especially for Kay. She has been contemplating a new mailbox for a long time now, so I thought I'd share our process. Returning from a walk together last Friday, I said to Tom, "We really have to do something about that mailbox." It and the neighbor's were mounted on a wooden post that was about to topple over. The neighbor had recently moved out and the house is in the care of a house sitter, who is not using it. We had talked about getting a locking mailbox, because we've had trouble with mail tampering, and also we often go to Whidbey or some other place for one or two nights, and with a locking mailbox we would not have to have the post office hold the mail. We were not home on Saturday. On Sunday, while I was on the computer, Tom went to Lowes, bought a mailbox and a mounting post, and some cement. By the afternoon he had it installed except for some bolt tightening, which he needed me to help with. We finished it first thing this morning, and received mail in it today. He removed the old box and propped the neighbors up a bit for now. A new owner will have to decide what they want to do.

9 comments:

  1. Linda;

    Your new mailbox looks great.
    Nice and big. Mine is rather small and when I go away over night I worry sometimes that my mail won't all fit! Probably silly!
    Kay will really like your new box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do! I do! That is just fabulous!!! You'll have to send Tom over here someday to do ours. :-)

    Be sure to check my post tomorrow and see what we did with ours. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hired the Mailbox Man to install a pole and mailbox for us. They did a good job. Now the pole does not sway when we open and shut the mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so strong and sturdy, almost like a safe! Very neat looking too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I come to your blog and see that smiling little concrete bird, I smile. Your mailbox certainly looks nice and solid now! The locking kind must have a slot for the mail and then YOU open it when you go to get the mail?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that new box and never really thought about the fact that the old one's are so accessible. Our mail comes to a central box on our cul de sac. One needs a key to access the box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. when I saw your title, I thought it was Kay's post. Cool idea and necessary-a locking mailbox. We have a cluster and so it is all locked for us already. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! I too need a new mailbox. It sways drunkenly on it's platform. The post is fine. Some joyriders late at night spun out and threw the mailbox across the driveway--a few years ago. We are the only mailbox on the road too so of course it had to be hit. MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. fine looking mailbox
    we changed ours a couple of years ago
    getting the mount in was a drama/comedy but it's all good now

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.