Friday, January 14, 2011

New Toy

Well, I did it. I have been thinking for a while about buying a more sophisticated camera, really since talking to a professional photographer at an art show in November. He recommended a Canon Rebel, and I had been watching adds to see what was available and what the price range was. On the other hand, I really like my little Canon PowerShot SX110 is. It's small, easy to use, and has a 10x zoom. Yesterday we were at the mall, at a Radio Shack, buying some accessories for my new iPod nano. I got what I needed there for a lot cheaper price that at the Apple Store just down the mall. We wondered if there was still a camera store in the mall, and checked the directory. Sure enough Tall's Camera was still there, in a new location. So we paid them a visit. It was an expensive visit. We talked for quite a while about different cameras and features, but I couldn't resist this package deal with $50 off the Nikon D3100, $100 off the zoom lens, and a free camera bag. I've read enough of the manual to know what some of the many buttons and knobs are called, but I have a long way to go to really knowing how to use everything. We are signed up for a class next Saturday, and we have a video to watch. And of course, I've already started playing with it, from inside the house. since the weather is wet and dismal. The Townsends Warbler was back. The red breasted nuthatch made an appearance for the new camera tryout.
Just outside the window a clump of winter jasmine is protected from much of the rain and is brightening it's little corner of the world.
It is my intention to have Tom learn to use the new camera too. Maybe then I won't feel quite so guilty for spending money on a new toy.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bet you're going to have a lot of fun with the new toy! If the first photos are any indication that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures. Can't wait to see how good the new ones are going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fun a new camera. I love my zoom lens and what it brings up close so easily but you have to hold your camera very steady or put it on a tripod cause it can cause blurry photos IF you move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm. I am no camera expert, but I am content with the 2 Canon Power Shot cameras I have. I can't see myself lugging around bulky, heavy equipment with me to the restaurants, parties, and travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting for you! I look forward to the great photographs you'll be taking and sharing.

    My new camera is the Canon Rebel -- lots of intials for me to learn. I, too, have a video, and three books that came with it -- and maybe a master's degree...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you. I am thinking about making the same investment. My husband just bought the same camera as you did just before Christmas. He has studied and studied on every little feature.

    I am afraid I'd never had the patience to learn it all. Your photos are just wonderful. I think you will just love your new toy. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I'm impressed, Linda. I'm so bad with cameras that I need something that just points and shoots. You're already taking fantastic photos. I'll be looking forward to seeing what else you post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, the photos that you've taken with your other camera was already amazing so I can just imagine what your future photos will be like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have been using the same camera! I have a Canon PowerShot SX110 with a 10X zoom, which is perfect for me. I've been thinking of getting a different camera, but when I think of how I use it, with all the icky weather I would be exposing it to, I really hesitate.

    I like the pictures with the new one, though, it looks like the depth of field is narrower, because the backgrounds are just beautiful. (I forget what you call it when they are like that.)

    I look forward to seeing what you can do with this new toy! It will be enjoyable for me, I can see that now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A new camera! Yeah!! I have a Nikon too. I'm taking a class now which I'm hoping will force me into learning all the menus etc. I am still trying to do some of the things I could do with my old film camera.

    I love the bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you got some great shots..those little red-breasted nuttys are fast. I hope you both enjoy playing with the new camera...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.