Sunday, January 30, 2011

Walking With the Beatles

I am enjoying the iPod nano I got for Christmas. I ripped some of the CDs I own, and synced them to my iPod. I bought a few songs from the iTunes store. And then I asked my son Jake for some classic rock music. After deciding that it wouldn't work well to burn CD's from his MP3 files on his computer, he referred me to our friend who is an IT guy by profession and has extensive music files. He gave me access to his shared files. Then when I had trouble downloading some of his music, I emailed him and he sent me a program to download which allowed him to take over my computer. He then found the problem and I watched as he moved my cursor and showed me how to do what needed to be done. Cool! It's kind of a slow process, but I'm working at it a bit each day. I thought it would be cool to have a few Beatles classics, and in selecting "a few", I ended up with 30! I am rediscovering the Beatles. When they made their rise to fame, between 1962 to 1966, I was in college. We didn't have music systems in those days, and the only popular music I got was from the radio, station KJR. Besides I was busy studying much of the time. In 1966 I became a first year teacher, struggling in my fourth grade full of kids from the projects. In 1969, I became a new bride, married to the guy across the hall, and then moved to another school. (Yes, they made me move). I left teaching in 1972, the year the Beatles broke up, and in 1973 I became a new mother. So I never really paid much attention to Beatles' music. I was busy. And besides, I was a good girl, and they were into drugs and all of that, so I didn't know if it was OK to like them. Last week, with Beatles music playing through my earphones, I went for a walk in the park. The words were fun, the beat was perfect and I walked and walked. It was great! I just walked to the beat a bit too much, and now I'm back on the stationary bike again until my heel settles down. I have a Ticket To Ride, but I'd rather be walking down that Long and Winding Road to Penny Lane. But Here Comes the Sun and I say Good Day Sunshine! I'm going out for a short walk anyway. I'll Get By With a Little Help From My Friends!

13 comments:

  1. What a fun post. Enjoy your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the walk down memory lane with you. Oh the memories those songs bring back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the beatles too but haven't downloaded anything to either my ipod nano-had it for 2 years or my ipod shuffle. one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me, too! Yesterday we had amazing weather...75 degrees! I walked/ran four miles listening mainly to the Beatles! It was a walk down memory lane. I still love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! I was a Beatles fan. I didn't pay much attention to the drug thing although their meditation period was quite interesting. They made some different music during that time. I think the Abbey Road album is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had an "I'm-0ld Realization" when a teenager in a record store (see, there's another IOR)picked up a Beatles album (IOR) and declared, "Oh look. Paul McCartney was in a band before WIngs!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. still listen to Beatles music and notice sometimes that a sanitized version is often the elevator music even today. My favorite albums are St. Pepper and the White Album. I discovered them in my thirties but truly love them. I wrote this blog post almost two years ago now about "My Musical Journey."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, you are much more technologically advanced than I am. I have never seen or touched an Ipod much less downloaded music for it.

    So you still have trouble with your heel? Too bad. My right arch has fallen due to too much barefoot walking, so when I have to shop for groceries, I now wear my sandals that support both arches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just picture you walking to the Beatles' music!

    Isn't great how some are just sooo technically able. These phenoms amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh , you sound like a professional. I struggle when I try and add music of my own to my ipod. I eventually get it(most of the time).
    I have downloaded several Beatles songs from itunes and am thrilled that it's now possible.
    I can just picture you with your ipod walking in the park!
    How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LInda, I LOVE the last paragraph!
    Very funny and creative!
    I like the Beatles but knew of them because my brother who is five years older loved them so I listened vicariously!
    Take it easy on your feet...
    thanks for a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ripped...you have got the lingo down too....you go girl....

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.