Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Um, Spring?

Last evening marked the Vernal Equinox here in the Pacific Daylight time zone.  That makes today the first day of spring.


It was hard to notice.


I did my exercising indoors this afternoon, and when I finished my 11 miles on the stationary bike, I grabbed a jacket and my camera for a record of the day and a quick cool down.


At 4:30 a wan sun struggled to be seen in a leaden sky.
 The high temp today was 44, but now it's back to 40.


But spring is coming nonetheless.  The grass is green, but thankfully not growing very fast, since it's hard to find a day dry enough to mow.
 There are a few primroses and mini-daffodils for spots of color.
                            Violets!


 The native red currant is emerging very slowly.
 Bright new green on shrubs glows even with no sun.
 The first trillium is opening.
 There is a bit of color in the front garden.

 Spring has come.  The time for renewal has arrived.  It just might not be warm and sunny, like we would wish for.  But at least we won't be worrying about a water shortage this summer.


Look for the silver lining.


18 comments:

  1. It must give you a lot of joy to see the beginnings of spring in your garden. Hope for tomorrow and the beauty of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a beautifully lush and well tended yard even without bright sunshine, it speaks highly of spring...Thank you for adding it to this week's Nature Notes Linda.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gardens are truly looking lovely already. I can hardly wait to see them bloom throughout the coming seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda..the NN link is there..I removed the extra one..If page is cached sometimes it doesn't show up right away..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's out there, but I'm surely having trouble seeing it!!
    Beautiful captures -- at least I can see spring in your photos!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. your green is so lush...we have lots of blooming things and even some greening going on-spring is here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes!!! It's definitely beautiful spring. My daughter says it's unseasonably warm in Chicago. I love your daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are deffinitely on the cusp of spring Linda. Lucky you. Our climate is autumn now. You blog header with all of those daffodils look great! - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your a week ahead of us.
    my daffodils are up, but not blooming yet. It won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden and yard is gorgeous. It is wonderful to start seeing the flowers and plants pop out. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry it is grey...you know what they say: April showers bring May flowers...except it's March! The red currants are really interesting looking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful spring shots. Your garden is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sure looks lush and springlike to me. Vt has unusually warm weather right now, but we don't typically see that kind of blossoming until April or May. Be interesting to see what it is like when we get home in a few weeks. Florida has plenty of beautiful flowers, but it is very, very dry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gorgeous. I especially love the opening trillium. I should begin to see those in the woods soon. I'm heading to your part of the country today, going to the Gaugin exhibit at the Art Museum with the Senior Center.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely seeing everything growing. Spring is surely here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spring is certainly making an appearance in your lovely garden!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you have the most wonderful garden!!
    love the violets and the flower with the rain drops on it

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the spring flower pictures. We will miss most of the early flowers, so it is nice to see them in your beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.