Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 1, 2013



We had our first real frost last night, New Years Eve. That will finish off most anything that was still lingering from summer. Out with the old, in with the new.  And while it will be some time before most new growth emerges, there is almost always something stirring here in the moderate Pacific Northwest.

For years now I have taken my camera out to see what's blooming on the first day of a new year.    Here is What's Blooming, January 1, 2013.
                                              Roses
                                            Winter Jasmine

                                          Primroses



 Pineapple sage:  Well, it's about done but I count anything with color.
                                                     Hydrangeas
 Some things take some searching for, like this lamium blossom.
                    and lavender  


 The sarcococca is almost ready to release its lovely vanilla scent.

 I found one little clump of Basket of Gold blossom.
It has been a lovely, if cold, sunshiny day to start the new year.  I got out for a good walk before going out into the yard.  Inside, we started taking down Christmas yesterday, and today we finished up, taking down the tree.

Now it's done.  The sparkle and color are gone, and I miss them.  The furniture is moved back into it's normal position. The pottery collection as replaced the Santas.  

We still have the outside lights up, but with only a few dry days, Tom may want to work on them tomorrow.  Then we'll have to shut out the winter cold and darkness and hunker down for the evenings.    

But you can bet that if it isn't raining or snowing or storming, I will find a way to get outside.  There is actually yard work to do in the winter, and I'll be out walking whenever I can be.

We're off to a good start for 2013.

11 comments:

  1. It sounds so cold over there. I prefer to snorkel in the sunshine! Lovely photos, as usual, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers and we do indeed have a little of everything weather wise these days ala typical northwest! Looks and sounds as though you had a lovely Christmas! I did, too, was wonderful being with my kids and at my son's wedding!! Perfect Christmas!! Hope you have great year, Linda!! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not much blooming here in eastern Oregon. We've had frost at night since Thanksgiving, although we've still had warmish days. We had a little snow. but it han't stuck around. The only planting with color is my snow berry...and it's white! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I would have loved that walk with you. I am envious. Nothing is blooming here! It is 19 degrees outside. We went for a walk to photograph lights at the Broadmoor tonight, but it was too cold to stay out more than about twenty minutes. Roses in December amaze me. And, I loved the primroses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing that you were able to find so many things blooming in the garden even though you've had a frost. I guess for us we've got more New Years traditions than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is still quite a lot of color around you, Linda. I see that there are still a few roses hanging on around here, too, but nothing like you found. It was a beautiful day yesterday but we had fog most of the day. Today will be sunnier! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was surprised at how much you still found blooming! If I was going to be there in the winter, I would make a list of those plants to be sure I had them everywhere. The hardest part of winter is the lack of color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda....I saw your comment on DJanity's post about the movie Les Miserables [of which I highly agree with your thoughts on the movie - it was too operatic for me].

    Just to introduce myself, I'm Ann, from Hootin' Anni's and thought I'd stop by to visit with you and read your day's post.

    Such beauty you found on your walk in the winter. We too have roses blooming, hibiscus, bird of paradise, and I saw just yesterday the Japanese Iris are pushing through the grounds. But I live in Coastal Texas so, it's to be expected.

    Loved chatting with you...enjoyed your post. [Christmas is down at our house too...everything back to normal]

    HAPPY NEW YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful blooms, my hubby wants to leave up the tree till the bowl games are over...is that Feb? lol...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I wish! We haven't had any little flowers for months.

    It is nice to get the Christmas stuff down, but it always seems a bit bare to me for a while afterward.

    Hope that 2013 is a great one for you guys.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am amazed at the plants you found in bloom on Jan. 1. Unbelievable to someone living in the far Northeast! There's nuttin' in bloom here except for my indoors plants. Today, though, there definitely seemed to be longer daylight. Maybe it was my imagination.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.