Friday, January 11, 2013

"Sunny Day, Sweeping the Clouds Away"

Not just on Sesame Street, but here on my street!
It's reason for a celebration when we have a day like this!
 Even if it's freezing cold.


Tom got out this afternoon to start the winter pruning.  He says his fingers and toes got cold, but it was a good start on what will be a continuing job.

I took a four mile walk this morning, watching out for icy patches, and then I took my camera out into the yard to find some winter interest.
 Flowering Kale on the front porch.
 Snowberries - a native plant.
 These will soon be food for robins.
 Magnolia blossom buds are beginning to plump.

 After all of the greenery and color of the holidays, it was time for some winter bouquets from the garden.  I picked and arranged these this afternoon as another excuse to be outside.  
 They contain sprigs of sarcococca, which will soon perfume the air with their vanilla scent.
The lingering blue hydrangeas won't last long now, so I picked them  too. 

Now at 4:15 the sun is low on the horizon, sinking into a cloud bank.  There is a 20% chance of snow tomorrow.  That would be fun.  And then there will be more sun!

10 comments:

  1. Amazing that you can still pick bouquets so far to the north. I can only imagine the climate in your area. But it is beautiul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't that golden sun a treat? We've got more on tap! Amazing how much my spirit lift when it's like this. Love your pictures, Linda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's cold and sunny here though we've been promised there will be snow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here in Tucson we're having a record-setting cold snap. The TV stations are reminding local residents to wear coats when they go outside!

    For me, it's sunny. And I brought fleece. I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah glorious sunshine. You know you are in the PNW when the sun comes out and the shorts go on along with the fuzzy boots heavy jacket and muffler. Even if it is 25 degreesF. LOL
    Nice post,Linda.
    I am glad Isaac got his bike and the story about 'sharing day' was nice. Kids are fun.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful Linda...the pond is very frozen even with a couple of warm days and I miss the ducks...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get much more pleasant weather Linda, though you are into winter now - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful winter arrangement! Unfortunately, you sent the clouds to Maine. It's a dreary day here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is nice to have the sunshine and clear blue skies, isn't it? We woke up the last two days to -12*, but it warmed up into the 20's.

    Loved all of the pretty color that you still have in your garden!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful bouquets to bring inside and enjoy. Everything here is buried under snow.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.