Friday, January 25, 2013

Surviving the Winter

I do feel a bit ashamed of using the word "survive" in my title, given what I saw on the national news yesterday about what victims of Hurricane Sandy are still suffering through.  I have an intact house, heat, and comfort.  And now that the freezing fog has departed, the weather isn't even bad.  Sorry for sending the storm your way, east coast.

But January is a drag here in Puget Sound Country, and unless you spend it on one long ski vacation, or head south like a snowbird, it can be tough to get through. 

But now the end of January is in sight!  I just scheduled a doctor appointment for a week from Monday, and it's in FEBRUARY!  

So what have I been doing in my "survival" mode?  Obviously I haven't found much to blog about.  I did enjoy the presidential inauguration Monday, and I'm doing my best to ignore those things I see on Facebook that are posted by the Haters. Wow.  What ignorant trash!  

I have been faithfully exercising almost every day, but weight loss has been sabotaged by the need for comfort food in the form of latte's and chocolate.  At least I'm not gaining weight.  

I have been enjoying reading books on my new Kindle.  The other day I finished a book and picked up a real book off the shelf that I had purchased some time ago and not read yet, but then I put it back and ordered up another Kindle edition.  It's so easy to hold on the exercise bike.

We have been working on our Oscar nominated movies list.  We'll watch one on TV On Demand tonight, and tomorrow evening we'll go see Zero Dark Thirty.  I think that leaves just two, Django Unchained and Amour.  Since Amour just came out, and is in French, we may skip that one.  I guess I'll have to do a post ranking the movies based on my choices next week.

I have not been very productive, but I seem to be busy anyway - just surviving winter, I guess.  Next week I'm going to get back to sewing.  Maybe then I'll need less chocolate.

What is wonderful is that at 5:00 this afternoon it was still daylight.  It helps that we had a clear afternoon, and I got to walk in the sunshine!

And now we're headed out to dinner.  Just surviving winter.

8 comments:

  1. It must be the winter thing, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting rid of the weight I gained in fall over the holidays. I remember the cabin fever I started to get in Chicago in January and February.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read about all the health benefits of hot chocolate :)

    there is a tent city near me and it's so miserable there I too can't complain about a thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fact that you read your Kindle -- something I have not done in months. There are so many unfinished books on my Kindle that I have lost interest in. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The days are getting longer...and warmer here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sitting in my sister's living room in sunny Florida. It's so nice to see the blue sky and white puffy clouds, after so many days of the weather being either clear and cold or warm and wet. I know exactly what you mean! That's why I'm here, being a two-week snowbird.

    I will not watch Zero Dark Thirty or Django because I'm afraid of the violence. I'll be interested to hear what you think, Linda. Please share. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean..I feel guilty complained when so many are so much worse off than I am....hugs to you Linda..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think of those of you in your part of the country often. You are made of sterner stuff than I. The cold air and foggy, rainy skies would not be something I could deal with in a very good manner. I admire your resolve to exercise. I too would be eating comfort food. That is ok. You will work it off when you start all that yard work soon.

    I too enjoyed the Inauguration. And, like you, I amazed by all the hateful things people write about the new President and the events of the day. I guess some people just can't set aside political differences. I don't remember time like this in the past where people were such haters. Do you remember anything like this before? Maybe I was just too busy to notice before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so, so grateful to be wintering in Tucson.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.