Thursday, February 7, 2013

Keep Moving

I've just revised and printed up a new exercise chart.  There are a few new ones, plus reminders of the old and/or continuing ones.

I saw a physical therapist today to get exercises for what I thought was sciatica caused by my back problem, spondylolisthesis.

My therapist called up all of my previous doctor visits, physical therapy sessions, and x-rays.  I do love medical technology.  

I described how my leg locks up so that it is painful to straighten it or bend my knee.  She looked hard at me and then began to explain how that is not a symptom of sciatica, but probably caused by my knee and/or hip.  Great.  

Then she checked me over, measured movement and strength in my legs.  She felt my knees and said they were a mess, just as the old x-rays showed, only worse now.  My right knee and lower leg are much bigger that my left knee and lower leg.  The right is full of fluid and the left is atrophying, she said. More great.  

The odd thing is that my knees don't hurt that much.  Neither does my hip.  That's good, I guess. 

I saw a doctor on Monday to get this referral, and she decided to order a blood test for rheumatoid arthritis. I got a positive result today via email, but no rating information yet.  I expect to hear more.

The physical therapist sent a message to my doctor to order x-rays on my knees and hips.  We need a new baseline.

I have made an appointment with an orthopedist for a consultation on my hands. That will happen in  two weeks.

This has been a good news/bad news day.  The bad news is obvious.  I'm a mess. In order to keep moving I will forever have to do my exercises and surgeries are in my future.  

The good news is that I am getting the attention I wanted.  I need answers to what is causing my symptoms, what deterioration has already taken place, what my future options are, and is there a point of no return where damage is not treatable.  

Then I went for a four mile walk and did my physical therapy exercises.  

Gotta' keep moving.

12 comments:

  1. Oh YIKES, Linda! I'm so sorry. This is hard news. However, good for you that you're making plans to stay ahead of the game and keep fighting this challenge.

    You header photo is totally breathtaking! The Chihully glass is so incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Linda, I don't like to hear of all this happening to you, but as you say you are finally getting the attention and maybe some real good answers that you need.
    I figure if you keep moving 'they' can't catch you. LOL MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are getting the treatment you will need to keep yourself going, Linda. You are a very smart woman and will take the medications as prescribed. You are right: we must keep moving. I also am admiring your header every time I see it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rheumatoid Arthritis is nothing to smile about. It's debilitating. A friend who has it cannot even get out of bed in the morning and had to quit her job. Best wishes to you, Linda. Hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know that I am wishing the best and sending positive thoughts your way. You are wise to seek good treatment and I believe you will take that on with the energy and dedication with which you seem to tackle everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good you are pursuing answers to health issues. My knee is bothering me and don't now if it's arthritis or old age or both...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry. Wishing you the best as you the best as you pursue your treatment options.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another reminder that we all need to take a personal interest in our health care. When you see a doctor for a few minutes, it is hard for him/her to see the whole picture. Keep moving, for sure! Best wishes with your new treatment options.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 23 years, and there is good news for you that was not there for me 23 years ago. There are now medicineS AND ADVANCES and strategies that can be administered to prevent joint damage and possibly put it in remission and/or under control. The key is to get to a rheumatologist and get a plan in action ASAP. You go girl! If I can help in any way let me know. Email me if you don't want to share with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no! I'm sorry that you are going through this, but am glad that you are getting help and know what is really going on now.

    Good for you that you are keeping up with your walking and exercises, Linda.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I am so sorry about this and it sounds complicated and something that will dog you if you don't stay on top of it..I hope you get some real answers and a plan because I know you will fight it.. hugs..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to smile after reading about your doctors comments and your deteriorating condition, then you say
    "Then I went for a four mile walk!" You are amazing! - Dave :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.