Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Projects

When we aren't out running around, taking advantage of all that our  area has to offer, we do have projects that we have been working on.

Many years ago Tom rescued an old floor lamp from the old Whidbey Island cabin. It has been stowed in a corner of the garage ever since.  Now we have a need for a floor lamp in the new cabin, so it was time to resurrect the old one.
Tom stripped off all of the old paint, down to the raw metal, replaced electrical parts, and rewired it. He got parts and advise from an antique lamp shop.
After seeing some same era lamps in original condition, we decided on the ivory and old gold paint, and then found a shade to match.  The result is quite beautiful.

Squeezed in between all of my exercise workouts and appointments, I have been sewing.  I have started early on a dress for Irene for Easter and her birthday.
 Working from this pattern, I came up with this.  The "flowers" are "yoyos", something new to me, but an old standard for quilters.

Now I have to figure out how to make a doll dress to match.  I will also make a tee shirt to wear under the dresses for cooler weather, and a coordinating bolero, as shown in the pattern.

I need to get back to this.  So far today my time has been spent doing exercises, getting x-rays on knees and hips, and grocery shopping.  

Where does the time go?

8 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful lamp, now! And the dress is stunning. I love the little bolero that goes over the top. You are so talented! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lamp is fabulous, Linda! Wow! You did an amazing job. We haven't worked on a project at our house in a while. We have the baseboards and quarter rounds and a lot of painting still to do. For some reason, we can't seem to get motivated to get started. Unfortunately, I think we're too used to see it unfinished now.

    Irene's dress is beautiful! More than beautiful!!! She is one lucky little granddaughter. I wish I had your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly darling little dress..such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to sew when I was in college. Too bad I prefer to buy my clothes now. Lazy me. The dress and the lamp are very nice, Linda. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so cute...and the lamp is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lamp is very cool. I really like how it turned out.

    The dress is priceless. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Linda, the dress is so sweet. I love the colors too.
    the lamp looks good.
    Was down in the Valley and the Daffodils are coming up---blooming next month I imagine. Tulips will follow. MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my ... the lamp and the dress both turned out beautifully.

    Happy Valentine's Day, Linda.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.