Saturday, March 22, 2014

Come Saturday Morning

Come Saturday morning, I'm going away with my friend, 
We'll Saturday-spend to the end of the day, just I and my friend. We'll travel for miles in our Saturday smiles, and then we'll move on,
But we will remember long after Saturday's gone.
The Sandpipers, 1969

It was time for a change of pace and place.  I get that way, and then I announce to my friend, my husband Tom, that I need a get-away. 

To celebrate the first weekend in spring, I chose the not too distant, and very domesticated Bellevue Botanical Garden. Contrary to the song lyrics, we spent to the end of the morning, not the day, but it was a wonderful respite, and a great photo opportunity.

Because the complex is under construction, we enter through the Yao garden back entrance.
 Yes, I've taken you here before, so there will be few words and you can go at your own speed.






                      Corylopsis



 Fern fronds getting ready to unfurl.


 Sun shining through peeling paper bark.



 Checking a plant label - Beesia.
 It's hellebore time and the garden has them in every color.










Under construction.  There will be a new visitor's center with meeting rooms.





                  Crown Imperial fritillaria






























Do your hyacinths match your hellebores? 









There will be new garden areas too.

                       Checkerboard fritillaria









































                                 Oregon grape

Native red flowering currant.  there was a hummer enjoying the nectar on the back side of the bush.






                                                Erythroniums

                                 Skunk cabbage.

And back where we started.
It's the middle  of the afternoon now.  I have done this, and had lunch.  Tom has mowed the lawn and is spraying the fruit trees and raspberries.  I guess I should get out a do a few things too, before guilt replaces the good feelings of my Saturday morning get away.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, please no guilt feelings for this wonderful excursion. I'm all tuckered out, after all that walking and photographing and posting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tour. Thanks so much. Both you and Tom are looking good. MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right! a person needs to get out. You went to a beautiful place and I don't think you missed anything. It's good to see all this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right! a person needs to get out. You went to a beautiful place and I don't think you missed anything. It's good to see all this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why don't I move to the Pacific Northwest? I love it there so much. I love the green. I love the colors. I love the flowers. I would love living at sea level. I just don't think I could do the winters.

    Thanks for the tour of this beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why don't I move to the Pacific Northwest? I love it there so much. I love the green. I love the colors. I love the flowers. I would love living at sea level. I just don't think I could do the winters.

    Thanks for the tour of this beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why don't I move to the Pacific Northwest? I love it there so much. I love the green. I love the colors. I love the flowers. I would love living at sea level. I just don't think I could do the winters.

    Thanks for the tour of this beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great place for a walk and a change of pace from the usual. I love it there at just about any time of year. Glad you got out and about. Thanks for sharing your photos of all the bright bulbs and spring ephemerals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember that old song from the movie The Sterile Cuckoo and think of it often too. Love the pictures and they make me long for spring. It has been a long winter in the northeast. The pictures of the pergola and the cairns grabbed my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. never feel guilty about getting away...thanks for the nature stroll-just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've captured spring here! And it sounds like you took it home with you. Lovely post. I've never been to those gardens, and need to add them to my list for the next visit north.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have really slow download speed so all the pictures didn't load but what did were wonderful. Those ferns look other worldly and what a lovely place. Making me anxious for safe planting weather here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was almost as good as actually being there. I wonder what it would be like to have a husband who enjoyed such things! I keep house, love gardening, flowers, and yard work. My husband hunts...deer and turkeys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely way to spend Saturday morning! It's been years since I've been there and never at this time of year. How beautiful it is right now. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paradise says a sign in a photo and it sums up the photo post of this place you have shared. i loved seeing the snow drops.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for the wonderful tour. What does the sign say by the stacked rocks? I love stacked rocks. The upper Mackensie River has hundreds of them in the summer...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.