Thursday, March 13, 2014

Watching Tom Work

There's a lot of gardening to do in March.  I can't do it.  So while I would usually be out there working along side Tom, this year I am relegated to watching him work. I did prune the roses yesterday, but my back was not too happy with me.

 Yesterday he trimmed the juniper hedge along the driveway.

Then he got started on cutting back all the sword fern fronds. He finished that job today.
 Partly done, but a lot more to go.
 I think maybe this is the last one!
 New frond fiddle heads are getting ready to unfurl.
A pile of old fronds awaits the next round of the yard waste bin pick up.
I went for a walk this afternoon and when I go back Tom was just finishing up, and said he had been visited by a pair of wrens.  I had my camera, but no zoom, but sure, enough, the wrens stopped by to say "Hi" to me too. 
 That little stone house is just decorative, but the Bewicks Wrens are nesting in the bird bottle on the side of the house.  They have nested here before and in the last week I have seen them bringing nesting materials. So exciting!
I went grocery shopping this morning and bought new flowers to arrange for the kitchen table.
 Outside things are blooming too - the first trilliums.

 And the marsh marigolds.



11 comments:

  1. I am SO EXCITED by your trilliums, the beautiful work that Tom is doing, and that you are out there giving it a try, even if it is a bit early. You are amazing, dear Linda. What a good role model you are! Cyber hugs engulfing you... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yard looks like a park. It is beautiful! Must be fun to walk around your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lot of blooming. Nice that the hard work is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Trilliums and marsh Marigolds are beautiful, and so lush. Your role out there can be as photographer. Take it easy. I've been hard at work the last three days tidying up my garden too. So much to cut back, as soon as I empty the yard waste bin, it is full again. I have piles all over the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your yard is just beautiful. The carnations on your table are pretty. I like to have fresh flowers on my table too. Be careful and don't hurt your back! Just watch Tom and take photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For startling contrast, check out the two photos I posted on my blog yesterday....oh, spring, will you ever come to Maine?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your yard is truly lovely. No wonder the wrens keep staying! Nesting here should start in the next month and I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah spring growth-lots of work...be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad the weather was good enough to do some gardening. The flowers look beautiful, and I like the bouquet you bought for the table. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is some live in yard man you have. Great job Tom.
    So glad you aren't pushing it too much. You sure don't want to undo all the good surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can smell the pile of sword fern fronds. Cut ferns have such a woodsy fragrance. Please continue to only watch and photograph so that you can fully heal!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.