Friday, March 14, 2014

The Breakfast Club

Each Friday morning Tom and I join the other members of the Breakfast Club for breakfast, always at the same place, Des Moines Creek Restaurant, at the same time. (This Des Moines is a suburb south of Seattle)

The number varies according to what's going on in our lives: travel, illness, surgery, death of a loved one.  As we get older, stuff happens.

The core of this group is made up of retired teachers who all worked with Tom at Des Moines Elementary.  They adopted me when I retired.  They have been going to breakfast on Fridays for many years, long before most of them retired.

Today was a special day because it marked the return of our friend Jeanne, who has been in fragile health.  Today she was feeling up to it and her son Brad was able to bring her.

That's the lovely Jeanne in the center, with her handsome son at her side.
 Because it was a special day we had a larger group than usual and there was lots of lively conversation.
Down there at the end of the table is our server Talley, who takes such good care of us each Friday.

From left to right: Linda, Lela, LaRae, Colleen, Tom, Brad, Jeanne, Mavis, Jan.  Hurray, the gang's all here!

17 comments:

  1. What a nice tradition.. Glad to,see you doing so well... Hug

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun tradition! You're looking really good, Linda. So happy you seem to be all recovered from your surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great way to keep the relationship going. I meet with 6 of the old boys once a year for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something about retired teachers and getting together for breakfast or lunch. A fine tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to have such a tradition. And to have a talented waitperson to take care of you as well. Glad you hear that Jeanne is better enough to be attending again. As well as you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are looking great! That is such a lovely tradition and so nice that you and Tom are able to stay in touch with friends in such a way. Keeping in touch is so important, especially as we age, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that the son joined the group for his mom. What a treasured gift of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's another thing about teachers besides eating out together. Many have a similar dress code. My kids can spot teachers out and about just by that.
    Glad that you became a part of the treasured group and enjoy your times together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great thing to do ... and glad to hear you're back at full strength.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you enjoying yourself, Linda. You look great!

    There are four of us who meet for b-fast a couple of times a year. We all taught in a Baltimore County Middle School back in the 80s. These friendships are precious, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fine gathering and great tradition. Pretty cool the son brought his mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun to keep in touch with so many former coworkers! In my fantasies about retirement, I wonder if I'll miss being with the kids and the rhythm of the school year. It seems like you keep so busy that you don't have time to miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely tradition. Everyone looks cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice tradition. I wish I would have done something like that. Well sometimes. LOL
    Love the "Watching Tom work".
    Bob does most of the work here although I am out helping and I am not laid up like you are. We have been pruning the apple trees. 18 of them. Bob mostly as I am the pointer---this one--that on.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a fun time. You do so much and always look happy! I admire you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This made me miss the breakfast club of retired teachers from the school where my husband taught and where he was principal. They meet once a month. We have not gone to any breakfasts with them since we moved. It is about a 50 minute drive one way for us to go. After reading this, I'm inspired to get up early and make the drive soon so we can see our dear friends and colleagues. These friendships are priceless.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.