Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Set Back and Resigned

With a personality tinged with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and a penchant for perfectionism, it is very difficult for me to overcome the drive for orderliness and job completion and not sacrifice the physical body and it's need for healing. I have been fighting this battle for three months now.

And so it was that I over-extended myself last Wednesday as I helped Tom make use of the one day we had to get the Whidbey garden in shape. The result was a scritchy back (my word for describing the little stings and stabs of irritated muscle strands and nerve endings) that has been very sensitive to unwanted motion and very sore, stiff legs that were not used to the ups and downs and crawling around that comes with gardening. 

I have been trying to walk through it and continue my physical therapy exercises.  The exercises are fine, but I have had to cut back on my walking, going shorter distances. Of course I have not exactly been sedentary here at home either, what with the great weather this week and lots of gardening chores that need to get done. And now, again, just tying my shoes can be painful.

But I have finally sort of scared myself into a more sensible course of action. I did my exercises and took a 2.5 mile walk this morning, went shopping for plants, struck out on finding my impatiens, picked up some groceries, and then spent my lunch hour here on the patio.

As you can see it was a beautiful day.  In fact it was heading to 80°.
I worked carefully in the yard for an hour, doing mostly standing jobs, and then I relegated myself to the rocking chair.

By 4:00 Tom joined me.  We have a rule here - no working when it hits 80, and Tom was overdue for his rocker time too. I spent two lovely hours in the shade, finally taking time to read the book I have been trying to get through for a long time now.

The seedling plants need to be planted in the vegetable garden.  The raggedy edges of the lawn are bugging me and need to be re-cut. There is plant staking to do and general grooming and yard art to be set out.

But I will be back on the patio and in my rocker again tomorrow, hopefully using common sense to overcome my OCD.  Josy will most likely join me again too.

And for all of you experiencing frightening weather east of here, and fires to the south, I send my concern and good wishes for your safety and comfort.  Who knew Seattle would be weather paradise this week!

18 comments:

  1. Ah, and Portland is enjoying the same fantastic, warm, beautiful weather!! Isn't it great!! Do take of yourself, Linda! I'll be holding good thoughts for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rocker and you sitting in it looks like a very good thing. I understand wanting to get all that gardening done. The mind thinks it can do more than the body will allow. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The outdoor work is such a fun relief that we, of course, overextended. Aches and pains, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  4. take it easy...healing takes time-the garden will wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, look after yourself. You don't want to prolong the agony any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hasn't it been lovely. You take it easy now---forget the neat and tidiness--it will always be there beckoning to you. Listen to your body. I know, easier said than done.

    I tried to to get the pictures up on your Tulip travel post but it wouldn't work. I'll try again today.

    We got home from eastern wa Monday. Had a nice time. MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weather is lovely, but actually just a little too warm for me for working in the garden. Take it easy on your back, I know that feeling when you've gone overboard. It's hard to resist when it's so enjoyable, and you see things that need doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still cold here. I hope you take it easier for a few days! The weeds will wait:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! You have to take care of your health first. The garden will wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Art just said we can't even get our azalea in the ground to flower.

    I'm glad you're being careful with your health and physical well being, Linda. You work so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tasks will always be there, waiting. Take care of yourself first...and that is an order.
    It took me a long time to learn to stay calm in the face of things in need of doing, but what a difference in my life it made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just as I was beginning to think you were Wonder Woman, I find that you also have a point where you finally have to let up and relax a little. Sorry to hear about your back, but I'm really not surprised, since I've been reading every day about your exploits. I do hope you heal up soon, though! Our usual weather will return by the weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep we have had about 6 inches of rain and some roads flooded. We also sat through a tornado warning that resulted in only lighting and thunder. I thought I had a bit of OCD, but after seeing your beautiful yard, I realize I much more complacent and my yard shows it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The weather there sounds great. Do take care and don't over-do it. Moderation in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sending you some of my clutter tolerant, process loving sloth. The blurry edges make the garden look more natural. In fact, I've found that if I simply remove my glasses, the garden looks spectacular regardless of how much I neglect it. Chill out and have a happy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also have an OCD personality, so I totally sympathize with your slow down. However, it does sound like you are getting plenty of exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I understand your struggles to just take it easy. My bum shoulder requires I do no lifting, pulling or pushing. Now how can a person garden not doing any of those? Sadly, I have set myself back repeatedly by not obeying.
    As maddening as it has been, I am like you, finally forcing myself to "take it easy".

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is tempting to keep going... I hear you as I love neat and tidy too, but don't risk a set-back..... Hug

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.