Sunday, December 23, 2018

Baking Again

It has been decided that we, the family, are having Christmas dinner here at the homestead on Christmas Eve, in order to make Christmas Day be more relaxed. Christmas Day will still be at Jill's house, where the kids live. That's how we do it.

Therefore I had to get a head start on some of the preparations. Today I made the cardamom bread that we traditionally have for Christmas morning.

Once again I was throwing flour around my kitchen.
The mixer does a lot of the work.
Then it's time to get my hands messy. I just knead to.
 Aha! It all came together nicely. Time to let the dough rise and I get to sit down. 
 Good, now punch the dough down, divide it in half, and section out three ropes from one half.
 Braid them. Let's see, outside in, outside in. 
 Join the ends to make a circle. 
 Wah-lah!

 I think this recipe came from Sunset Magazine, many years ago. 
 Now the wreath is baked and I made rolls from the other half, one pan for Christmas dinner, and one for the freezer. They'll get cooled, then wrapped, to be reheated when it's time. 

I also prepared all of the ingredients for the stuffing. They are cooling out and then they'll get combined and go into the refrigerator until tomorrow when it's time to stuff the turkey. 
Christmas is upon us! May yours be merry and bright, and full of the good things you like to eat. 

Merry Christmas! Or, Happy Holidays! I sure hope you are finding something to celebrate!

9 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Linda. It is always fun to see all of your projects. The breads and other preparations look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you smart to get so much of the food ready before the big day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the peek into your kitchen. Your baking looks so perfect ( unlike mine which is usually not).
    Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a talented cook! I love to see how you do all this. May you, Tom and your whole family have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a blessed Christmas with your family, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the step by step making of the bread and rolls. Lovely! I hope you and the family have a wonderful Christmas. I know I will, doing almost absolutely nothing but enjoying it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recognized that the recipe was from Sunset Magazine before I read that it was. We took it for many years and I even had a few recipes printed in it. It no longer is relevant to us but I enjoyed it for many years. Fun to see you did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, now I am hungry. You always look so good and happy in an apron. Have a wonderful time surrounded by family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a warm home, loving family and peace is a lot to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.