Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A Super Sunny Sunday

Our son Jake was leaving for work on assignment in the southern California desert for most of this month so we wanted to spend some time with him before he left on Monday. We arranged to pick him up at his apartment in Ballard and go out for breakfast at a restaurant in Greenwood that has become our go to place for these visits.  We had a good time talking and eating. 

After we dropped him off back at his home, we took advantage of the cold but bright morning to go for a stroll through the garden at the Ballard Locks. You can always count on something blooming in the winter here, checking out what's happening at the locks is fun, and the strolling is easy. 
Edgeworthia blooms in winter with wonderfully fragrant blossoms. 

 Helebores of many varieties are now in full bloom.
 Camellia 

 Hellebore mix

 Double hellebore. 
 These plants were just along the main walk to the locks. Lets go there before going into the main garden.
 Last time we were here this large lock was empty and being cleaned. Now it is full of water
 And a flotilla of ducks.
 Here comes some business. 
 It's the Kitsap County passenger only ferry, apparently come into Salmon Bay for some maintenance. 


 Viburnum
 Hazel nut catkins.
 Yep. Cactus in a hot spot. Well, in the summer, anyway.
 The water level in the locks has been lowered from lake level to sound level, and the gates have opened to release the ferry.

 Pieris Japonica. 


 Tom spent his time looking for cones and seed pods. He might someday actually get back to making more cone wreaths. 
 Cherry or plum?
 Silk Tassel bush isn't very spectacular, but it does bloom in winter. 

 I guess the flowers are sort of interesting close up 
 How about this almost black hellebore. 

 An early rhododendron, probably Rosa Mundi.



 The answer to cherry or plum - plum, or apricot?

Thanks to the Army Corps of Engineers for this marvel of engineering, opened July 4th, 1917, and the reason for this delightful park and garden. 
I did watch most of the Super Bowl later that afternoon. I didn't really care who won. I tried to watch most of the commercials but I can't tell you what they were actually selling. The half time show was spectacular, but so much emphasis on crotches made me uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just old. 

14 comments:

  1. Always nice to see that flowers are blooming somewhere. We are still brown and bare. I guess I am old also. The crotches made me uncomfortable also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed at how different our environment is, just a hundred miles north of you. We got rain and snow all day yesterday, no sun at all. I watched the last part of the Super Bowl but skipped the half time show. I haven't heard much positive about it.I hope you're all healed up from the dental adventures of last week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shouldn't be surprised at all the blooms but I am. You get very little frost so any plant that's hardy will survive and then do well when it warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so pretty. I am surrounded by snow again this weekend beginning tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful sunshine and blossoms we are 19 degrees cold today and cloudy-our winter is returning...brr!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that I had explored this area more that first year we lived here, when we rented a house in North Seattle. That was a stressful year, getting our bearings and figuring out where we wanted to live permanently. I love silk tassel flowers, I think they are pretty spectacular. Tom can come to my garden and pick up cones and all kinds of licheny little sticks if he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My old stomping grounds---even when to High School in Ballard---but not Ballard High. Love the Locks
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hellebores are so lovely, especially that very dark one. I have one which I think is called Black Prince and it should be about that colour when it blooms. Right now my Hellebores are about 2 or 3 inches tall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It still always amazes me how there are flowers blooming at this time of year so far to the north. What a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am often amazed at all the beautiful places you get to walk. All of those blooms!! Still too cold here. I wonder if those ducks are thinking that the locks are a fun ride. I can almost hear them talking amongst themselves saying 'hang on Ethel, they are opening the locks again.' hahaha I told someone the other day that I thought they had tamed the crotch grabbing, boob handling down for the Super Bowl half time show. The camera angle was pointed right at the crotch as you say. Just no class anymore.

      Delete
  10. Oh, it is just beautiful there. That sure is a steep hill where the geese are standing. Bet it's hard to mow. :) Oh Linda, I could have written that last paragraph! I agree 100%. We did watch the game and pulled for Kansas City. The commercials were terrible this time and like you, most of them I could not figure out what was being advertised. And, that "emphasis on crotches". Why is that necessary now with most all singers. What happened to singing, and singing words that can be understood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful blooms for my wintery eyes! I thought the half time show was a wonderful missed opportunity to show what classy ladies they could be....my daughter called it a whore show...and she is young:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad that it was sunny there! My daughter now lives near there - in Broadview. She never complains about the weather there but I know she must miss the sun and beaches of Hawaii. She seems to love it there - since her love of her life, her brand new husband, is there. Well, most of the time he is there, if he is not up in Alaska fishing on the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is there anything that does not grow well there?? You go from cactus to cool weather mountain plants to stuff that grows here closer to the south.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.