Thursday, February 3, 2022

My Memoir, and Other Things

It's raining today, but it's not stormy and it's not freezing and it's not snowing, so I'm just fine with the light rain that is falling out of a not too dark sky. 

My Facebook is filling up with photos from a meme, View From My Window. This is the view from my family room window, where some spring like things are happening. Do you see the squirrel? 

The pots on the steps of the porch will get new contents this weekend. I bought primroses at Costco the other day, and with promised clear weather in Saturday and Sunday, I will yank out the Christmas greens and stuff the pots with color. 

The witch hazel is starting to bloom. The photo is fuzzy partly because that squirrel decided to jump into the bush on its way to the treetops just as I was about to snap the photo. Also, I didn't get very close  because I had my inside shoes on and I didn't want to step out into the wet when I opened the door to take that photo, which is why the squirrel jumped. :-)

 I spent some time this morning building a new PT check list after having an appointment with my physical therapist yesterday. Then I had to figure out how to do the new stuff.  Keeping myself going sure takes a lot of time, and some hard work.

Recently, when I plugged in an external hard drive, looking for some photos, I saw the menu item for my memoir. I think about it every one in a while, wondering if I should update it. I decided to read it, since it has been five years since I looked at it. 

I began writing my life story, "Finding My Voice: The Life of a Late Bloomer",  in the winter of 2014, in advance of my 70th birthday, planning to finish it by my July birthday. It turned out to be a longer task than that, but sometime in 2015, at page 160,  I decided I was finished. 

I don't read memoirs and I had no idea how to do it, or especially how to finish it. I was 71 then, with much more life to live. But I wrote a conclusion, saved the whole thing on an external hard drive and also a memory stick and put it away.

In 2017, I added an update. As I read it now, I am pleased to say it is much better than I thought it was. When I finish reading it, will I add another update? Should I? Is that an OK thing to do for a Memoir? 

I don't know, but I probably will add an update, and maybe more in the future. When I wrote it I said it was not for publication and people could read it when I was dead, but now I'm not so sure. I'm actually kind of proud of it. Maybe I'll let my family read it in a few more years. 

How does 80 sound? 

16 comments:

  1. 80 sounds great, and they say that if you take care of yourself in your 70's, you will be in great shape in your 80's. Soon you will have everything fixed and ready to rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good to me. And it would be very nice if you might share it in a private way with those who consider you virtual family, like me! I love memoirs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should update it. Things that we had never imagined 10 years ago like telephone technology, Covid-19 and Donald Trump have changed our world so much much and you are still here, you have survived all that. Even though you can't do as much physically as you used to and your mind is only a little slower, you can still enjoy the flowers on the porch. I am going to follow your way and refresh mine at the gate

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I finished writing my memoir, I felt like my work on this planet was complete. I think it's extremely important to write your life story - if not for publication, then for your family. It helps children to know why they think like they do, and to know from whence they came. I know my parents had a very interesting life and wish they had chronicled it for us. I love reading memoirs - the most recent was "West into the Night" by Beryl Markham.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very impressed! Don't think I've ever read a memoir, but I have tried to write little bits of mine. Any advice to give an aspiring memoir writer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just talking yesterday to a woman I met recently. She was telling me that she is writing a memoir to pass to her family, and she pulled two books on how to write a memoir out of her bag to show me. I think if you are happy with what you have done you won't need those types of books. I think it would be nice to let others read it while they can still have conversations with you and ask questions about what interests them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I'm impressed that you wrote your biography! Yes keep on adding to the biography and if it was me I'd include my obituary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked up Memoir and found things like "A great memoir draws the reader in from the start". I don't know about yours but I doubt mine will fascinate my kids and grands but that's not why I wrote it. I have so many questions I never thought to ask my parents and I'm hoping to leave information about my life in case my kids someday wonder. I suspect one has to get to a certain age before you want the answers and by then our parents and most of the aunts and uncles are long gone. Sorry this has somehow turned into a very long comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For sure update. We have had some very strange things going on in the world lately and your reaction to them would add to the total book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely update it, as things have changed a great deal in this last 10 years. As an amateur genealogist, I'm certain your descendants will appreciate it very much in the future. I know I certainly wish I had more information on my great-grands and even grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 80 sounds great! I think you should update it. You are such a great writer. I think your Memoir would be very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! I wrote and published 3 memoirs and earned $8,000 from sales. Very satisfying experience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lady Jane wrote her story, too. She gave copies to family (and me) bc she wanted them to know their history. Now that she's dead, it's like hearing her voice in my head. It's a wonderful gift - DO IT!
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes you should update it! :) That is a fat squirrel:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I posted a View from my Window well over a year ago. I thought they were quite strict and it had to be through the window, but I guess not!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree... update it. So much has happened recently that your thoughts during these times would add to your memoir. And I also agree about publishing it (at least for family if not for the general public). Everyone has a story to tell. I wish I knew my grandparents and great grandparents stories.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.