Sunday, February 6, 2022

Plants and Places

 We forgot to give Jan part of her gift at Christmas. When I saw those two hellebore plants sitting in the greenhouse last week, I said "Oh good!" We can go somewhere!

Last Friday we took a drive down the freeway, over the Narrows Bridge, to Jan's house in Gig Harbor.


We picked up Starbucks coffee and goodies near her house on the way and then sat in her house right on the sound, with wonderful views, and had a good visit. She is equally cautious about COVID exposure and it was good to be somewhere else than home or the grocery store. 

After we left her, I wanted to extend my "freedom" a bit more so we drove into the town of Gig Harbor and spent a little time walking along the harbor. 




I had no intention of jumping, but thanks for the warning. 

There was a time in its history when this harbor, now full if recreational water craft, was a busy fishing port. This old home and net shed is all that remains of the old days and ways. 



We arrived back home in time for a late lunch. It was good to get away.

The next day, Saturday, I planted my primroses. Tom helped me get the planters cleaned out. I filled the pots and then planted the rest along the path, between the primroses that have lived over and will bloom later.




All the while that we were working in this area we breathed in the heady fragrance of the several sarcococca plants we have in this front yard garden.

Our hellebores are slowly opening here too. 



 The fog has burned off now and the sun is shining. After lunch I'll go out and do a bit of yard work. But yes, I will know when to stop!









12 comments:

  1. Your Primroses are lovely and the hellebores too. Maybe this coming week mine will show some blooms. The forecast is for sunny weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the color of the primroses! They are so pretty.

    My excursion was not nearly as nice as yours. I took the vinyl planking samples back to the store and stopped at the Dollar store. But I was happpy to get out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun to get away-we haven't been any where for a long time...love your blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me a little homesick. But not enough to come back from Tucson until there's a little more sun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is well on the way to becoming very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice splash of color with your primroses! I learned about nigella sativa from you and planted seeds unsuccessfully but just recently one of them grew and looks like it will have flowers! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it nice to just get out? Looks like you had the harbor to yourselves. Impressed by who ever put the "borrow a life jacket" display out. How thoughtful, caring and most likely lifesaving. Love the bright, happy look of the Primroses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love hellebores and primroses. I saw some at Costco yesterday but hurried out since there were plenty of people not wearing masks. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your photos! You have such a good life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gig Harbor looks like an interesting place to wander about. Your flower header really does say Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to get away! The Primroses are so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.