Thursday, February 10, 2022

Island Time

 

We needed to make a trip to our family cabin on Whidbey Island to collect some plant pots we forgot to retrieve last fall. We decided to make it just a day trip and were ready to make our get away when we got held up waiting for a call back from the medical center where I will be having my heart surgery. After waiting 20 minutes, we gave up and left, and were then sitting in stop and go traffic trying to get through Seattle when my cell phone rang. I had forgotten that I have my land line and my cell phone linked so when my land line gets a call, my cell phone picks it up. 

Anyway I got my pre-check in done and we waded through the traffic, not worrying about the time, because we had all day. We were switching to island time.  North of Seattle we took the time to make a Starbucks stop too. That's a treat we like to give ourselves when we have an outing. 

The wait was short at the ferry dock and we got to the cabin where we found Tom's twin, Jan, struggling to upgrade the TV cable boxes. We tried but weren't much help, so I went for a walk on the beach.

Jan is staying at the cabin this week so it was a good chance to spend a little more time with her. We talked through lunch and eventually went outside and did some garden clean up. We worked, gently, for about an hour and then Jan and I sat on the garden bench and talked some more and watched Tom finish up. There is so much more to do but I made myself stop noticing it. We'll come back when I get clearance.

The high tide wasn't high enough to fill the lagoon.
Back in the cabin we talked about plans for this year's Phosie Gertie Picnic, our annual family reunion event held on Labor Day weekend. We have had to cancel the last two, and this year is the 50th anniversary of the original, so the hope it to do it up big. 

As the sun got low in the sky we spent a little time on the beach before Tom and I headed home. 
It was a good take-it-easy day, on island time.

I got another call this morning from the medical center for a records check, and an updated appointment for my COVID test, so it sounds like my surgery is going to happen this time, one day after Valentine's Day, heart day.

I'll be in touch.  

13 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it's going to happen on the 15th. I'll be thinking good thoughts and looking forward to hearing all about it afterwards. And glad you got an island day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear everything is going smoothly and you'll have your surgery on the 15th. Nice that you had the little day trip to your cabin and a pleasant visit with Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looked like such a peaceful day. So glad surgery is scheduled and know you are going to be so happy to get it over with. Looking forward to hearing about how successful it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pleasant day. this kind of day is necessary when the stress is on for the upcoming surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful views. And I thought Island Time was just for the tropics! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray hooray hooray!!! Your day leading to better health is coming soon!!! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely spot to spend some quiet (island) time. I have all of fingers and toes crossed there are no hiccups and your surgery goes off without a hitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looked like an enjoyable time with Jan and being there at the cabin. Good luck with the appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! It is so pretty there! Hope surgery doesn't get postponed again:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whidbey Island looks like such a peaceful place... and so nice to be able to go there for a quiet day. I'll also be thinking of you on the 15th... sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your header picture is so pretty. I can almost smell those stargazer lilies. Glad you had a nice trip to Whidbey Island. I didn't know until now that Tom and Jan are twins. That is so neat. Hope you get the surgery done on the 15th. I will sure be thinking about you and wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. best wishes for a speedy recovery-what a beautiful getaway on your island!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you had such a peaceful day to strengthen you for what was to come.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.