Sunday, March 13, 2022

Getting Back Out There

 With sleeping in and springing ahead, the clock is telling me that this Sunday is almost half over before I am even getting going. But that's OK. We make up for it by staying up late, and we have no agenda for today anyway.


Tom helped me pick some forsythia buds a few days ago and now after spending those few days in the house they are in full bloom. Bouquets of forsythia and Acuba leaves remind me of my Aunt Alma. She was the one who first introduced me to these early spring arrangements. 

Friday was busy being "out there". We went to breakfast as usual, then we did our weekly grocery shopping at the neighborhood Safeway. In the afternoon we went to Irene's track meet at Highline Memorial Stadium. It was a jamboree of the four Highline district high schools. Each athlete could do two events. Irene ran/jumped the 100 m and the 300 m hurdles. As an elementary PE teacher in the district, Jill worked the meet.

Irene came in a close second in a full field in the 100 m race, setting a personal best. She finished first in a short field on the 300 m. 

And Jill and Irene both looked good! 

We enjoyed being able to be there and sharing in their success. 

On Saturday morning I had a Zoom meeting with the committee planning our 60th high school reunion, scheduled for this coming July. I have not kept contact with my Molalla, OR school friends, so it has been good meeting with some of my old classmates and getting a little bit reconnected. I'm hoping we can find some of my missing friends. I'm also hoping I will be in good enough shape to be there.

Then later in the morning we geared up and headed for the light rail to take us to the stadium for my first of the season Sounders Soccer match. It was a sunny morning/early afternoon and I was happy to not have to hurry through rain. I don't hurry well. 


Our new stadium seats are great. This is our view. At the opening of each match the supporter section sings "The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle, the fields the greenest green in Seattle". Today they were, and of course, Seattle colors are blue and green. 


Here we are, proof that I made it. I just have to hang on tight to the railings, and with my walking stick, people give me space. It was just two years ago that everything was suspended because of COVID. Now we are back, maskless except on the train, and for now, pushing the pandemic to the backs of our minds. Vaccination rate is very high here and, for now, break out cases are low. Masks are still a choice and some are wearing them. We will when we go shopping. 

It feels good to be back out there. Oh, and I almost forgot to say, "We won!"

17 comments:

  1. So glad to see you out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Tom are looking good! Way to go Irene! Fun that you could go to High School activities again. I love Forsythia, it makes a beautiful arrangement!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got out to a game! And love those forsythia blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you got to that soccer match and that you won! Love the family pictures, and everyone looks great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great that you're getting out. Being out and active is necessary for GOOD RECOVERY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That smile tells it all. Congrats 3 times. For you being out there, for Irene doing so well, and for you finally getting to see the Sounders play in person. They ought to hire you to attend since they won. You are their good luck piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for the win(s) - both Irene's and the Sounders, and most of all your win to be able to get to both events.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great that you could be at Irene's track meet and it looks like you didn't have any rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a grand day where you didn't have to hurry! You two look quite dapper and dandy. Yes, go easy and slow on stairs in the stadium, up and down. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, things are getting back to normal. I do think you are super active and so do not be too hard on yourself as you return to the activity levels of the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the WIN!!! Irene is almost as tall as Jill. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. good for you, back to normal which feels new. yesterday at church there were few masks and lots of smiles, hand shakes and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can feel an extra zing in your post so I think these outing did you some good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Irene is nearly as tall as Jill, and they both look so good. Congrats to Irene. I’m so glad you are getting out and about. It is time for us all to do that. We may not be doing things as easily as we once did, but we’re still doing them. Keep on keeping on,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, Linda! I’m so glad you’re able to be out and about again. I can’t get over how grown up Irene is. She and Jill are gorgeous! The forsythias look gorgeous in your dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to see you and Tom. Here Covid is back so i keep my mask on it was better in Dubai we could leave our masks outside fortunately it was 40C!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So nice to see life getting more or less back to normal!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.