Monday, March 21, 2022

Praising Health Insurance and the Coming of Spring

I got a statement from Overlake Medical Center yesterday. This is the hospital where I had my TAVR (valve replacement) surgery done last month. The total charges were $157,402.17. 

My responsibility was $200.00. 

The "medical/surgical supplies", i.e., the valve, was $118,669.56 alone. 

We have paid a lot of money into medical insurance over the years, many of those years when we could have said we didn't really need it, but somebody did need it, and that's how insurance works. Even when we ran out of money at the end of each month during the lean years, we always paid for our insurance up front, and fortunately teacher benefits were good even if the pay wasn't. Now I have had several very expensive surgeries in recent years, this being the most expensive so far,  and always the charge to me is minimal. 

Health insurance is a very good thing. 

Spring is also a very good thing.

On Sunday we took our little walk in sunshine over at the neighborhood park. Pink plum trees are blooming here, along with yellow forsythia. I call it the pink and yellow stage of early spring. At the park I checked on the cherry trees. They won't be far behind. 



Rain off and on is keeping the heart puddle full.

The native red flowering current is blooming. Sorry that is is fuzzy :-(. 
The woodlands are turning green, moss included.  
Back at home I took a few more photos in the garden. 





Now, today, Monday, it is raining, but it is a gentle spring rain, the kind that makes the new greens glow. A current theme in Facebook is "View from my window". Here are today's views from my windows as I enjoy the garden from inside. 





New growth is popping out of the ground everywhere. 

The leaf buds on the maple are swelling.


Rain or shine, new spring is all good here. 



17 comments:

  1. You have an incredibly beautiful and rich garden, and it starts blooming a lot sooner than ours! We have public health insurance here as I expect you know. That means I pay for it out of my taxes. I've never got a bill, but I also never complain about paying my taxes! And I expect the surgery I had that left me paralyzed cost a great deal more than yours. Insurance is certainly worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful I've never seen a hospital bill. Like Furry Gnome says, we pay for it in our taxes for the most part.

    Your gardens are so lovely. My favorite photo is the pretty primrose bordering the flower bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find hospital prices unbelievable. However, they are necessary . Things have come a long way in our lifetime when it comes to developments in health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for health insurance. My hospital bills have been outrageous too. Yes, the premiums are high, but we’ve always said they were worth it in the long run. I’m glad you are doing well. These photos are beautiful. They bring me hope. We’re still stuck in snowy weather here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, good health insurance is wonderful. You have a wonderful outlook for spring. That's so nice you can see a heart in your little puddle. I want to hug your big giant tree! Your garden tour is a delight. I think Kansas City is thawing, but raining. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is greening up and looking good. Nice row of colourful primroses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hospital bill was astounding yet the amount you paid such a blessing. My insurance isn't nearly that good but I'm grateful for it.
    Your yard is weeks ahead of our blooming season and is just lovely. But you and Tom put in the work to make it so. Be proud and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s so expensive! I went to urgencies in Dubai one blood test and a scanner 1700 euros for 7hours in hospital. Try to get my money back with my travel insurance , but a difficult way!
    I love your garden always so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your yard is amazingly lovely. I am not sure what our insurance would pay. I am so glad yours is minimal as that can lead to more stress affecting your health.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your spring pictures are wonderful! I too am appalled at the costs of hospital surgeries, but so glad to learn that your share was reasonaBle. I agree that you and Tom put so much time and effort into your garden and it shines!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't imagine how anyone can get by without insurance. It can be expensive, but definitely worth it... as you have shown. And you certainly have a lovely yard. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are thankful for health insurance also! Otherwise we would not be able to afford Far Guys weekly infusions....they are very expensive. Your gardens look great. The Primroses make a delightful border!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like a park, so beautiful. I too am thankful for health insurance. When my late husband had cancer, they paid without any issues at all. Carrying four people on my plan during our daughters' childhood and early adulthood was expensive but very worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your surgeries were costly. Thank God that insurance paid for most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. $200 is a deal! Your garden pictures are so full of the promise of spring. Makes me consider coming up to see my daughter and 6 month old grandson there. Except I really do like staying at home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You all are about a month or so ahead of us. Right now daffies, Bradford pears, hyacinths, and cherry blossoms are in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that heart puddle too. I agree that health insurance is definitely a wonderful thing. I think we're going to sign up for Kaiser at the end of the year though because Tripler Army Hospital is cutting back on patient care.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.