Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Tom's Turn

 We are keeping the medical professionals busy around here. Yesterday it was Tom's turn. 

Over the years Tom has developed painful arthritis in his hands, and then more recently, trigger finger. On Tuesday he had corrective hand surgery for the trigger fingers.



He is left handed and on that hand he had surgery on two fingers and the thumb. He had one finger done on his right hand. 

"The goal of surgery is to open the pully at the base of the finger so that the tendon can glide more freely. The clicking or popping goes away first. Finger motion can return quickly, or there can be some stiffness after surgery." 

He will have some physical therapy after the bandages come off at the end of next week.

Now that the anesthesia has worn off he can use his fingers and the pain is slight, but those bandages make his hands clumsy. We found an old pair of extra large rubber gloves that fit over the bandages to keep them clean and he spent a bit of time out in his greenhouse this morning.  Plastic bags and rubber bands serve to keep the bandages dry in the shower. I will be doing the dishes for a while. 

The yard work is at a point where it can wait now. Tom got a lot done during the winter months. We are managing to take care of each other, and Jill has reminded us that she is only 15 minutes away and has lots of sick leave if we need help. 

We will muddle through.
 

18 comments:

  1. Both hands, Tom is a trooper. Recovery takes some time, but having the surgery done is a plus! Good thing you can take care of each other:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you have eachother to lean on. Hope Tom is out of pain totally soon. As active as he likes to be this must be frustrating. Good to know you have great back up in Jill. Be well soon Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, it doesn't rain but it pours. I'm glad to hear Tom's surgery went well and he's already been able to spend time in his greenhouse. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had that trigger finger surgery on my left ring finger done ten days ago and got the stitches out today. I hated those bulky bandages and took them off the next day after surgery and just used a regular bandage over the incision. Of course I only had one finger done and not on both hands. It is so wonderful to be able to use my hand now and not having that finger snap down. I am sure Tom will appreciate it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we use our hands all the time so arthritis in the hand would be very difficult. I've never heard of trigger finger so you've given me something to look. Those old teachers keep on giving homework!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, I wasn't expecting even more doctors in your future. I'm glad they were able to treat it, and knowing Tom, it won't be long before he's as good as new. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting procedure and surgery photos. Didn't the hardware store have some new pulleys? (Just had to tease and ask that.) Home he recovers easily. Hopefully he gets a break from having to take out the trash too. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure hope Tom's hands heal quickly because those bandages look awkward and cumbersome. I'm surprised he had both hands done at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing stops him from gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also called Viking disease although one source said it isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The picture makes it look very painful but if he was already out working in the garden, that's a good sign. I think about the past when these treatments and surgeries weren't available and wonder how people lived with those conditions. I'm very thankful for medical science!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hoping for a quick recovery for Tom. I'm always interested in medical procedures, and found the illustration very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep. We can take care of each other and know our kids will help if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, challenges come in twos. I've often wondered how you manage when one of you needs help and so does the other. Life! And nearby kids can help and friends....get well better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch! That surgery looks painful! Glad he is healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Speedy complete recovery! Dishwashing is a very important task.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! Surgery on both hands! I didn't even know there was surgery you could do for trigger fingers. I had a trigger thumb, but it corrected itself eventually. There's some pain there though. I'm glad Tom's surgery turned out so well with little pain.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.