Saturday, January 21, 2023

Photos

 As you are most likely aware, I take lots of photos.


Like the new flowers on my kitchen table. 

I take them mostly for my blog, but then I tend to keep them. With my iPhone they are downloaded automatically to my iCloud photo storage and my computer. I organize then into files. 

Alas, with so many photos stored on my phone, I was cleaning up a year or so ago before I realized that the phone storage is connected to the computer storage is all connected to the iCloud, and it you remove photos from one device, you remove them from all. I found empty files where I had so carefully "saved" photos.

For the last week I have been editing my photo files and then saving them to an external hard drive, where we saved photos in the past. Now I have cleaned most photos off my phone and have learned, I hope, how to plug in my phone to the computer and save the newest photos on my actual computer drive, not just the iCloud. I am in the process of setting up new files there. 

I have yet to decide if I will still automatically connect to the iCloud. I think I can do both and it is very convenient, but I won't use that for permanent storage. 

I can also go back in my blog archive and right click and recapture photos there that I lost on the cloud, as long as I keep paying my Google storage. 

Today the weather is REALLY nasty, currently 35 degrees and raining, after snow showers earlier. 


It's good to have projects on a day like today. I think maybe we'll light up the fireplace again this evening. It's time to work on being cozy. 



4 comments:

  1. I do not have much skill or knowledge when it comes to filing photos. I know many of my photos should be deleted. Not nice weather there. I hope you don't send it my way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use iCloud. I have photoshop, but if my computer breaks, then I'll lose photoshop. So, basically, I just rely on my blog archive. It suits me just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to do something similar soon, as I have more than 6,000 photos on my laptop (and also in the cloud). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I download the photos I want to my computer photo files (separate from the iCloud) and then kill the ones I don't want to keep on my phone. I find that doing so does not erase the photos in the Google Photos. On the other hand, if I erase something on the Google, it erases the photo on my iCloud. I don't know what my settings are. It's crazy. I also did the merge of similar information in the address book of my new iPad and it KILLED a whole bunch of information on my new iPhone. Arrrghhh! Now I'm having to REload information into the address book on my phone. It's so frustrating. I don't know what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.