Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Rainy Day

 Rain and 42 degrees is the worst. It's dark and drear. But after our trip to Costco this morning, I don't have to go anywhere or pay much attention to the outside.


It wasn't rainy yesterday when I took these photos of the Winter Jasmine. 

Yesterday I went through all of my Christmas cards and re-read most of the letters. I have a few email notes to send in response  today.

Walking at Costco hurt today, but I still came home and did my 30 minute workout on the stationary bike. 


I have been scheduling appointments in preparation for my hip surgery in March. There are pre-ops and post-ops and PCP exams and lab tests to schedule. I have one more to schedule with my podiatrist.  I wish it were all sooner. 

Tom has been prodded (by me) to get into the attic and start dealing with some things stored up there. He brought down two tubs of books and has been sorting through them. They are OLD! Most are family treasures, some are just collected, some are somewhat valuable, some are not. 

Probably not valuable, but maybe a keepsake for someone in the family, as it belonged to Tom's mother, Bernice.

This Through the Looking Glass is an 1893 edition and has some value. The illustrations are quite interesting!



When he gets through sorting, Tom will contact family members about specific books, and seek out a book dealer for advice on others. He has a good rainy day project. 

11 comments:

  1. Don would be in heaven as he has a real thing for old books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new cover picture! What a great rainbow picture! We went to Costco today also - something to do on a very rainy day. Every time I go there, I think "I won't have to come back for a very long time." I also imagine someone sorting our pantry and freezers when we are gone. I love your old books! I hope someone in the next generations will cherish the family heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are very interesting looking books, I would love to rummage through them myself. At least I think I would. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in another decluttering mood. I can't believe the little stuff that's here. I don't have many books but it's still quite a bit to get rid of. I have Christmas and birthday gift books from when I was a child. They are treasures but they will have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky that Tom is willing to do this. I have a closet full of "collectibles" that I wish would disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These books are very interesting especially the second one . I have pop up book from my childhood two of them are now 100 euros each.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful treasures! I have one book my Dad was given in grade school ( he was born in 1910) - but not a collection.
    I do hope your appointments go well. It would be nice if your surgery could be pushed forward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have cataract surgery on both eyes starting next week. There are three appointments with each eye and on top of that pre and post op appointments. My calendar is full and none of it is fun stuff! Good luck with your hip surgery. I had a hip replacement ten years ago and the results were wonderful. The recovery was pretty easy... I wish the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some real treasures! Hope you find family members that will cherish them if not sell them to buy eggs:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are really cool books. I am now joining you in the difficulty walking camp. I somehow hurt my knee and it hurts to walk much. Aggravation.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.