Saturday, March 25, 2023

Marching Along

 

March is a fickle month weather wise. After some nice warmish days we are back to cold 40 degree days, with some local areas reporting snow showers. Charlie/Mewdini came to visit before it turned cold again and you can see he is still in full winter wool. He does enjoy having his fur ruffled. 



Blooming has been delayed a few weeks, but now, driving around to appointments, we see many yards with pink flowering trees and yellow Forsythia, like this one in our yard, in full bloom. It's pink and yellow time, and the magnolias are ready to burst their buds.

Daffodils are in bloom, and in the Skagit Valley the fields of daffodils are the prelude to the tulips to come in a few more weeks.


While I'm not marching, I am walking without my walker. I have graduated to one walking stick in the house and two outside. Yesterday, exactly two weeks to the hour from my hip surgery, we went back to our Friday morning breakfast with friends. I had to get up a little extra early to get there on time, but I was up, showered, coifed, dressed, had my first daily round of PT exercises complete, and we were at the restaurant by 8:40, only 10 minutes late. It was great to get out and see friends. 

We have my surgical wound issue under control and an appointment next Friday to deal with any lingering hematoma. My "good leg" knee is settling down after its swelled up protest. I am moving around pretty well and doing most of the cooking for dinner each evening. Tom is available to fetch things. As of today I am resuming my daily walk down the 150 ft driveway out to the street to fetch the morning paper and then the afternoon mail. I haven't moved back into bed for sleeping yet, but I'm getting OK sleep at night in my recliner.

Slowly I am reclaiming some of my life back. Tom will have the burden/pleasure of doing all of the yard work for quite a while yet, so I am freeing him up from tending to me as fast as I can. And I'm keeping him well fed. By next week I should even be able to help with the grocery shopping. 

We're marching along.

10 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you are getting along ok even if you are not marching! Such pretty Forsythia and that field of Daffodils what a treat for my wintery eyes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to know you're doing so well. It's hard to believe that 2 weeks has made such a difference.
    The field of Daffodils is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw some forsythia in bloom today, too. I am thrilled to hear how well you are doing today. And you are once again walking without a walker! Yay for that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I liked the title of this post. It sounded like good things were happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to me, your recovery has been very good. That, despite the swollen knee. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear! Everything seems to get better once Winter loses its grip on us. Things are blooming and trees are changing color before leaves pop. I found rhubarb and peas along the garden fence. No asparagus yet so I haven't gone mushroom hunting yet, but it won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, Linda, you're ding better than me. Well, good for you. I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news! It was certainly nice to meet your friends and have your breakfast outside. Tom being well fed as you are cooking I am sure he will do the garden work for you 😆.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your forsythia and daffodils are amazing! We had bushes of forsythia at our house in Chicago. I wonder if my daughter is keeping them healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your page again. Not sure how I misplaced it. Surprised to see you had surgery and are recovering. Good for you. It takes tenacity. Thank you for the lovely spring photos.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.