Thursday, March 9, 2023

Preperations

 Finally, tomorrow is the day. Instead of going to Friday morning breakfast we will be going to the Swedish Orthopedic Institute downtown for my hip replacement surgery. It has been a long wait. 

When we hadn't heard by noon today what my check-in, surgery time was I called a number I was given when I inquired yesterday. Four new numbers or transfers later I finally got an answer. I guess I jumped the gun because I finally got a call at 1:30 this afternoon, from a different person. 

Anyway, I check in at 9:00 Friday morning for surgery two hours later. I am to have no food after midnight, and only 8 oz of water in the early morning. 


The first Tete-te-tete daffodils are finally blooming

So today has been preparation day. The bed has clean sheets and the bathroom has clean towels, ready for my clean self after an evening and then morning wash with pre-surgical body scrub. Freshly washed clothes await. 

I make charts, and today I replaced my PT chart with a post surgical chart: 20 min of icing, 15 min of activity, elevate and rest; repeat three times in the morning, twice in the afternoon, and three times in the evening. Lots of check, check, check.

I have a new chart for meds, seven in all at first, with hopes I will not have to use the opioids. 

Yesterday I made a big pot of beef stew so Tom will have plenty to eat while he is taking care of me. I'm not sure when I will eat much given my history of digestive issues post surgery, but I am prepared for whatever comes. 


I just got a message from my cardiologist, letting me know she wants an echo cardiogram. What?! Oh, not until May. OK. Can do. My stress level is easing off.

All is well. Wish me luck. 

11 comments:

  1. I am wishing you safe travels into the realm of surgery and recovery. I will be sending you all the luck I can find!! Hugs to you and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, have a very good and successful surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with your surgery tomorrow. Praying all goes well. I had a hip replacement ten years ago and the recovery was pretty easy, I hope it's the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're ready! Don't hesitate to take a few pain pills those first few days. Prayers said for lovely adventure outcome. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you all the best today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you today and sending healing thoughts and hopes for quick recovery. Good time to get this done before the busy season arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you the best for surgery and a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck. Wishing you the best. Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your surgery must be done now, I hope it is not too painful. I had the same problems to get my schedule time. I had to wait a very long time from midday to four O’clock but it is done. I have been thinking of you last night has I had pain and could not sleep, it was time for your surgery. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I figure you must be in surgery now, I pray all things go well for the Surgeon and for you and Tom also! How wonderful that you have such a good caregiver.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.