Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fun on the Beach

This is my final post in the continuing account of our family activities during the visit of the kids and grandkids July 29-Aug 12.
It has now been a week since they returned to their home in Colorado. Our daughter Jill is now back at work, helping to launch another school year at Green Acres Elementary. Corey is back on duty with the Morgan County Sheriff's Office. Isaac will soon start kindergarten, and Irene will start preschool. Our son Jake, who lives and works in Seattle, was able to join us the last day of our trip to Rockaway Beach, and then we all attended a family picnic in Vernonia, Oregon before heading home.
The beach in front of my mother's cabin is the scene of much of our activity.

Digging in the sand is one of Irene's favorite things. We "borrowed" this hole and the kids spent a lot of time here digging, jumping and rolling in.Jake brought his kite and the kids had fun chasing rainbows as he buzzed them and performed tricks.

The red gable in the upper right hand corner is our cabin. Salt Air Creek has provided hours of fun for kids of all ages in our extended family. Every year its course changes a bit, and during winter storms, tidal surges bring logs in. Several years ago the logs were depositied on the highway and the cabin was surrounded by water, but so far it has survived.

It's always fun the try to dam the creek and form new channels, which work great for floating boats.

We had a great time, as we always do. We feel very fortunate to be able to share in this wonderful place while spending time with people we love.

6 comments:

  1. how would I find info about renting a cabin up in your area? we long for coolness and sea air. looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been such a fun summer for your family... and for all of us who've been invited to share in it just a little bit. What a fine family you've raised!!

    Okay, Lin. Wayne and I will split the cost of the cabin and groceries... anywhere. Oregon Coast, California Coast. Name the place and the date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you folks all know each other? And hey...I asked several posts ago if I could be adopted into the family of the red cabin by the water!!Great virtual vacation for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mare- Lin and Caryn know each other, but I don't really know anyone who regularly comments on my blog. I understand there are people I do know who read me, but they never leave a comment.
    Glad you enjoyed the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful and fun photos..love the sand box Linda!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great memories you are building for your family. Wonderful property and you are very lucky to have this retreat. I love the coast. I also have a daughter named Jill.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.