Thursday, January 28, 2010

Another Project, and Other Stuff

My kids might recognize the jungle print from long ago, when it once hung on the wall, on a stretcher, as wall art. But maybe it was too long ago even for that.
Now it is place mats, which I backed with Green Earth fabric for my ecologically minded grandchildren and their parents. This was yesterday's project. I quilted the mats using my sewing machine and a walking foot. Then I finished the edges using my new serger. For the table mat, I even used the serger for the piecing. I'm making progress in mastering my new toy.
This morning I had another new experience. I had an electrocardiogram.
-
At my physical last week my new doc said ,"You have a heart murmur", to which I responded, "Yes, I've had it since childhood".
-
But it has been only in the last year or so that it apparently has been noticeable again to the docs. Does that mean it's more pronounced? So the doc referred me to cardiology, and today I went downtown for the test.
-
When I was finished, I said to the technician, "Well, I guess you heard the murmur, and I guess nothing's a big problem right now." She said, "That's exactly right. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be leaving the hospital."
-
So I'll wait for results. I came back home and went out for a hill climb walk.
-
This afternoon I boxed up the place mats to ship to Colorado and went off to the post office. Good grief! There were three Spanish speaking young people who appeared to be shipping their worldly goods to some foreign country. Box after box had to be weighed, registered, and the Priority Mail paperwork filled out. The final tab was in the hundreds of dollars, paid in cash, of course. Then it seemed like everyone else in line had some exotic issue that took time, until finally, about 30 minutes later, it was my turn. I took about two minutes.
-
Why am I always the fast one? Why is everyone else's business so complicated?
-
Lastly, I'm already really tired of the analysis of the President's speech last night. I'll start out by saying I thought it was a good speech, and that he challenged all concerned to get on to the business of governing. But apparently it was way too polite and non-specific for the progressives, and just all the wrong policies for the Republicans, who in rebuttal still have no alternative solutions to offer.
-
So the beat goes on. And on. And on. We're all frustrated.
-
But I still have hope.

8 comments:

  1. I have hope that Obama will be able to make change despite those who will make it difficult. Big babies...that's what they are! Who is that? The party that refused to stand and applaud a good idea because of partisan issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed by the progress you're making finishing projects. I'd like to see how big a closet you have for fabric if that jungle print is as old as you say. I'm sure it isn't the only piece you've saved along the way. You really are coming along with that serger.

    Hope you get a good report on your electrocardiogram. It's amazing what doctors pick up on today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the mats are amazing!!
    I love the Green Planet logo
    and the jungle print

    ReplyDelete
  4. marvelous handwork on your sewing machine-very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy fun!! But I might have to save them for Earth Day. I started a tradition with that last year I have to maintain now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so creative. Your Christmas serger was perfect for you. Hope all goes well with your heart murmur. My sister just had a quintuple bypass Wednesday and is having a lot of pain. I feel terrible that I can't get up to see her today (too much ice and snow here).

    I get discouraged, too, when the right won't clap or stand up for the President's ideas. They are so bitter. I liked his speech.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea for the placemats! Recycled material to start with and beautiful results! Hope you get a good report from the doctor. And I agree with the other commenters about the President's speech, all I can think of is "grow up" to those who are so bitter!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have hope too and I still like Obama a lot... Wow..I would love to be able to do those projects.. Beautiful and I too end up in the wrong line every time....

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.