Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bits and Pieces

This morning I had a class on using my new serger. It was very good, a one-on-one, hands on tutorial on threading the machine, and the different set ups for the various applications. I made samples, and with each I was thinking of how I would use it. My instructor, Jeanne, was very good and we related well.
I'm ready to make some more samples and practice on my own. When I get my sewing machine back from being serviced, I'll be in business. It will be fun to see which machine I can use for each sewing task.
I feel confident!
After lunch I took a walk, since we are enjoying another day without rain. I never really got into the rhythm today and by the time I got back home, I needed to recover in my recliner before doing my back exercises. So I got my mini-lap top and read blogs and emails and Facebook. I also watched the football playoff game between the Jets and the Bengals. While I don't really have a favorite, Dianne of Forks Off The Moment does, so I root for her beloved Jets. And they won! - We are planning to go out to a movie tonight. We love historical movies, especially English, and we'll see The Young Victoria.
-
I'm also waiting on photos to come in from Jill. Yesterday was Isaac's 7th birthday! Already!
-
This birthday had a Lego theme, and Jill made a Lego cake. Here is Isaac with his cake eating his special birthday pancakes Friday morning. Jill must have had to get going early to start the birthday pageant so early.
Isaac is nuts about Legos. When we did a skype call in the evening he could hardly talk. He showed us his new Legos, but we could tell his head was full of visions of building, not talking. He had his first "friends" party after school. Irene was not happy because all the kids wanted to do "boy stuff" and not play with her. Jill was glad when they all went home.
-
The pageant continued today when the local grandma and grandpa and cousins went bowling together, before coming back to the house for a party. I think some of the cousins were staying over night, so I may have to wait awhile for my pics.
-
Jill will need a rest day tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. how fun, never heard of a lego cake but it sure looks like one. I had 4 sons and lots of boy birthday parties, Jill will need to recuperate from this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your confidence to move on with your serger.

    I'm not a sports fan so I'm listening to music, knitting and blogging while Bob watches the Dallas Cowboys play the Philadelphia Eagles. I've had no use for the Cowboys since the days of Tom Landry. At least he made them act like human beings. These days they act like animals. I can hardly bear the sight of Jerry Jones. When Susan picked me up at the airport in October we passed near the new stadium. I was appalled. It's a monster. Texans call it "Jerryland," and worse. Bob says George & Laura Bush are at the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that's great about the serger! And we did have a really nice day, didn't we? I got some great shots of the sunset this evening. Irene and Isaac are so adorable! Beautiful grandkids you have there, my friend!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you about the serger. I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll be creating. This is going to be a lot of fun.

    The Lego theme is great. Legos were my son's favorite toy. He could stay busy forever with them.

    I used them in my classroom and when kindergarteners would come up they'd ask me, "Are you the teacher with the Legos?" LOL It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hej Linda and Tom.
    I have tryed to send a mail to You.
    But perhaps I make a mistake when I try to send it the address I can se at your first side on the blog. Do you have another address ?
    Inga-Britt, Skamhed, Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed by all the sewing machine terms and uses. It certainly has come a long way since I bought my first Singer sewing machine from a yard sale, when I was 16! I sure wish I had it today, it was very old but worked like a charm. And Happy Birthday to your grandson. How wonderful to start your birthday off with a special breakfast. And a boys party? Been there and done that...but enjoyed all the commotion! Ashton asked me not too long ago if we still had her legos around! She is 18! She had pretty pink, purple and green ones when she was around 4 or so. I think its great that children still like legos, there are so many loud and violent games on the computer nowadays. Legos are great for the imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a sewing machine when I first married but discovered I was so fumble fisted that it wasn't worth the frustration! I threw it out!. I made my toddlers' clothes by hand (and loved doing it) and, since then, everything's been bought! Aren't I disgusting!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.