Friday, January 1, 2010

01-01-10

So far this has been a great year! I had my first night without pain, and enjoyed lazing around in bed a little longer this morning. My exercise-and-recliner therapy is working! Then I checked at my neighborhood Safeway store, and yes, indeed, they did have fresh crab on sale! Each December we can usually count on two to four dungeness crab feeds, when the fresh catch comes in and the price falls from $7.00 a pound to $3 to $4 a pound. Today it was $3.49. And so I made my first purchase of the new year. What's Blooming January 1, 2010 Each year on January 1, I go out with my camera to record what's blooming in the yard. The answer this year was "not much", due to the week of constant below freezing temps in early December. Often we go through December without a hard freeze, and I have roses and fuchsias blooming. Today I found: Perennial candy tuft Basket of gold Winter Jasmine
A few primroses
And the buds of the sarcococca are beginning to swell, among the shiny black berries. Soon the front yard will be perfumed with a delicious vanilla scent.
A few violas are holding on in a planter with flowering kale on the front porch. They'll perk up if our 50 degree temps hold.
And the sun just found a hole in the clouds and is shining on me through the window.
I'm loving this day!

12 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed catching up on your posts Linda. What a lovely family you have. I also enjoyed this post too, I think that's a great tradition of photographing everything blooming in your garden. You've got quite a show considering the time of the year. Happy New Year to you and all your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. People in Texas cannot understand why we love the Pacific Northwest so much. I can't understand why they love Texas. Rain is life to me and drought is death. I love every season of our weather except the 10 to 15 days during summer when the temp reaches into the upper 90s or above 100.

    Is your husband a twin? I think maybe you told me about that one time. Is that extra lady in the picture his sister?

    Bob is a twin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda I have SO enjoyed reading through your blog this afternoon. The Christmas posts made me smile (the cookies look yummy and the ginger bread cottage was charming). There seems to be a lot of love in your family. What a blessing!

    I hope that 2010 is a great year for you and yours. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that "extra lady" is Tom's twin sister, Jan. She lives in Gig Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow leaves this time of year and flowers! the crab looks and sounds good. we had tacos today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos, Linda. What a surprise to actually see things blooming at this time of year. Happy New Year! So far, so good for me, too. That's neat! 01-01-10. It didn't even occur to me until I saw your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your year seems to be off to a very good start! And the flowers and plants are just beautiful! Love your photos! Enjoy! Glad you're feeling better!! That may be the very best of all!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are having a positive start to the new millenium Linda. Happy new year!- Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am catching up on your blog, scrolling through the pages. You certaintly lead a full life.
    I feel we are so fortunate to live in an area with a somewhat mild climate and do get to see some flowers poking up here and there. I do love the scent of Sarcacoca and my Helleborus is coming along.
    Pease to you all. MB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I did enjoy your photos of all the "lovelies" blooming in your yard. What a great idea to take a photo on New Year's Day! My photo would show about 3-4 inches of snow, and today it would show about 6" of snow, blowing and whirling around! Thanks for making my day brighter with your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Linda! This is what amazes me about the NW. There is always something blooming! It is quite different from where I grew up in Flagstaff, AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd better go check, but I'm pretty sure my candytuft etc is not blooming yet..but I'm thinking, spring!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.