Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Old Iron Kettle

Remember that one about the pot calling the kettle black?
-
Well, this is one old kettle who's proud of her color.
-
Vonda at littleeggfarm asked me for my beef stew recipe. That put me into a stew. Recipe? What recipe? I don't know if I have ever followed a recipe for things I cook in this kettle.
-
And that's the secret of the stews and pot roasts and short ribs and whatever has been brought forth from this pot - the pot itself.
-
This old cast iron pot belonged to Tom's grandmother, which means it could easily be 100 years old. It is well seasoned. And there's nothing like an old, well seasoned, blackened cast iron pot for slow cooking beef.
-
As to the stew, I start by thoroughly browning the lean, well trimmed stew meat with a bit of vegetable oil. After it is well browned and all water is evaporated, I add chopped onion and celery and brown a bit more. Then I start dumping.
-
This time I added some plum tomatoes I had in the freezer. Did you know you can just rinse off whole fresh tomatoes, put them in a zip lock bag, and stick them in the freezer. When you want to use them in soups or stews or sauces, just remove what you need, run them under hot water to slip the skins off, and cut them in chunks. Into the pot they go.
-
Then I added water to cover, salt, pepper, chopped basil I also had in the freezer and some dried marjoram. Put the lid on and it all goes into a 325-350 oven, where you forget about it for two hours. Then in the third hour add the vegetables. Cut up carrots and potatoes take about 45 minutes in a 350 oven. I add parsnips and turnips and maybe cabbage for the last 30 minutes.
-
Sometimes instead of tomatoes, I add red wine and mushrooms after browning. This changes the flavor somewhat, for what I call beef burgundy stew.
-
I'm sure most of you don't have Grandma's old black kettle. so use a heavy dutch oven, but be sure to brown the meat well before stewing. That's the other secret.

10 comments:

  1. Sitting on my stove top right now is a cast iron pot much like yours, however, mine is rather new compared to yours. In my opinion nothing cooks better than cast iron. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh... that sounds wonderful. However, they told me I couldn't use cast iron anything on my glass top stove. I was disappointed about that. Your stew sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stew is one of my favorite meals. I love to make it and I have no recipe either. Like Topsy--it just grows.

    Yesterday was a perfect sunny day until about 2PM and then it was gray but no rain. I think Eagles look best with a sunny background so I am glad nature cooperated. MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, DIL Mimi ofter asks me for my recipe and the best I can do is tell her what goes in but not how much. I've been thinking I should take time to measure and write down recipes.
    For me it is not a cast iron dutch oven but magnalite that my mom was given as a wedding present. I'm sure it doesn't impart the same flavor as a well seasoned cast iron pot but it does have sentimental value.

    I don't think I'll be seeing any shadows for a while now but a lot of much needed rain is in the forcast. Maybe you will get a break if it all comes south.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now I am hungry for a beef stew! How nice that you have the cast iron pot to make wonderful family meals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds great and I have just the pot...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always do a stew on top of the stove, but this sounds like a much better idea. I just need a cast iron pot..thanks Linda... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like home. I do the same thing, except I like to add barley rice after I have added home canned tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to have such a treasured and useful family heirloom. Your stew sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. drool.... I miss my cast iron stuff. About all I know how to cook is in cast iron!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.