Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Earthquakes and Windstorms

The morning radio news is all about the forces of nature. The area is experiencing lots of power outages after a surprise windstorm hit the region last night. Reports of trees down on houses and cars are coming in. The visual media has the pictures to prove it. Our highest gust here was 31 mph, so we just have small branches down. Tom will have clean up to do today. But suddenly the wind storm reports were replaced by talk of the Richter scale. There was a small (4.2) earthquake about 100 miles south of here. We didn't feel it, but it was felt in a wide area. Fortunately no damage has been reported in the hour since it happened. Yesterday was a learning day for me. I went through my patterns and fabrics, planning out what to tackle next. I prewashed fabric and checked sizes of patterns against Irene's measurements to see how I would adjust them. And I re-watched my instruction video for my serger before attempting to make a long sleeved tee shirt out of knit fabric I've had for a long time. I used to know how to do this but it has been a long time. I found my old patterns, measured and cut, and crafted a prototype. Now I will sent it to Irene by Priority mail and have a fitting via Skype to see how it fits and what I need to adjust before trying another. After that I cut out and began sewing the corduroy jumper that is this year's Christmas gift to Irene. This morning I'll make another trip to Jo Ann's for lining and a zipper and buttons for this project. Then I'll get back to work. Fortunately we did not lose power. That would really cramp my style. My hand sewing isn't good. :-)

11 comments:

  1. It has been kind of wild and woolly weather wise, hasn't it? Didn't feel the quake, but the dogs may have, they were acting a little strange. Glad things are good where you are. Just wet and windy here -- so far!! Enjoy your day!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God, you and Tom and the house are safe!

    I enjoy reading about your sewing projects. Irene is a lucky gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene is a lucky girl to receive lovely, handmade clothes. I hope the Skype fitting goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had heard from a friend who lives in Seattle that it was pretty bad last night. Glad you didn't experience any major damage from the wind or the earthquake.

    I hope you will post photos (after Christmas, of course)of the finished gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like winter is coming soon. we cancelled our trip to Texas to go north to Idaho to look at some land only to have it snow up there-so we cancelled that trip too to stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in Maine we have had some unusual weather as well. Two weekends ago we had winds up to 60 mph and many lost power for several days. If the rain had been snow I think we would have been buried til next summer! I am fascinated over the pattern fitting via Skype. What an amazing world we live in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fitting via Skype...Will wonders never cease. That is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seattle must have had a lot more wind that we did up here in Bellingham. It blew all night but not all that hard. Glad you didn't lose power.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that wind doesn't come down here along with the rain you are sending us. I need to check my drip irrigation and then put down mulch before the rain hits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They were expecting a huge thunderstorm this morning and we're still waiting for it at 9:00 PM. I'm glad the earthquake wasn't distructive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My new laptop should enable me to use Skype with ease...can't wait...

    You bring back memories of my maternal grandmother and the clothes she would sew for my sister and I....

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.