Saturday, October 3, 2009
Well, yesterday we signed a contract for a new heating/cooling system, a new efficient furnace and a heat pump. Big money. I had to think of Kay of Musings, and the time and thought she puts into her purchases. I'm afraid we are just the opposite. Once we decide to do something, we just do it. So it was this time. When our house was built 31 years ago Tom had duct work put in that would support a heat pump system. He has always wanted one, but the cost was too high during our child rearing years. Our furnace has never given us any problems for all of these years, without any service ever, and it started right up a few days ago when I turned it on for the first time this fall. But it's getting old and it's not efficient according to today's standards. So with the rebates and tax credits being offered, now was the time to do it. We got two bids, and one company was so much more thorough and helpful than the other that it was no contest. The only question was "Should we do this?" So we are. We're on the waiting list. The work will be done most likely in early November. If all goes according to plan there will be just one day without heat. We talked about the trade off of using our funds for home improvement vs travel. We sort of came to the conclusion that our European travel had been wonderful but we were no longer compelled to go across the pond. We would be happy to limit our travels to our own country for a while. And with that decision made, I will let the technicians do their job. I am finally learning to let others do the worrying where I have no control. It works as long as you are able to just pay them the money.