Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Medical Emergency

Son Jake is 35 years old, 6 foot 1 inch tall and 180 pounds of lean muscle. When he collided full on with another like body on the soccer field Sunday, something had to give. It did. It was his disfunctional kidney. It ruptured. Three years ago, when Jake, on his bicycle, encountered a pickup door in his bike path and landed in the emergency room, it was discovered that he had very high blood pressure. That led finally to the discovery of the congenital blockage of the ureter of his left kidney. That kidney now functions at only 7%, but since we can all live well with only one kidney, it was just being monitored. When it ruptured Sunday, besides hurting like hell, urine began leaking internally. Monday he was scoped and scanned, and given antibiotics. Last night he landed in the emergency room when he fainted. He called a friend to help him out. We found out this morning. We joined him this morning at about 8:30 at Harborview Hospital, where later this morning he underwent a scope surgical procedure to place a stint in the blocked ureter. We left him about 2:00 to sleep and recover. If all goes as expected, we will take him home tomorrow. When everything heals and settles down internally, he will have that bad kidney removed. When we got home, I found a message on my home phone from a friend of my mother's. She told me my mother had fallen last night and had called the life line, which brought medics to help her up. So then I called my sister, my mother, who didn't want us to know, and the friend who left the message. I think all is well enough for now, but I'm afraid we are soon approaching the time when my mother will have to move to a place where she can get the daily care she needs to keep her safe. She has been resisting this for a long time. It will not be an easy move for her, or for any of us. Tonight is the opening night of the MLS Soccer season, with a big match here in Seattle against the LA Galaxy. It has been raining off and on here, and there has been plenty to dampen our spirits, but we are going to the match. We hope we have something to cheer about. We only wish Jake could be there too.

18 comments:

  1. Sending out a lot of LOVE to cousin Jake and your mother Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending lots of good thoughts to Jake and to your Mother!! So sorry that all of you have had a difficult time lately, hopefully everything will be better soon!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...when it rains, it pours. Sending prayers to all of the family members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your son; ugh...definitely NOT what a mom wants to hear. I will keep him in my prayers...and you for a little peace of mind.
    I hope you have a fantastic time at the game and I too am excited about soccer season; Go Crew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want only the best care for Jake and your mother. It is terrible to feel so helpless as a mother and as a daughter. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a day! Hope it slows down and all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. people of all ages can have health issues and sometimes it comes on so unexpectedly. we need to appreciate the good health we have each day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, how are you holding up with all this hitting you at once? Goodness, that is a lot to handle. I am so sorry to hear about your son and his kidney problems. Thankfully, he was able to get help. Hopefully, his recovery is swift and complete.

    I'm also sorry to hear about your mom. My mother at age 94 also is such a worry. Independence is so important to them, but it means great worry for us. Thankfully, she called the life line. It is all such a worry. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THey call it the sandwich generation...sounds like you have just been tossed on the pannini grill.
    I can empathize with the mom situation and we never stop worrying about our kids. So sorry to hear about your son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother died at 69, so I never had to worry about putting her in a home, but she would have resisted. I am sorry to hear about Jake's kidney, but thankfully he will be all right.

    It is interesting to me how these things seem to come in waves. I'm sending you warm fuzzy thoughts, Linda, and hoping that you have a great time at the game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, I have dealt with similar situations and I know how difficult it is. Grown sons who engage in aggressive physical activity are prone to injury and no matter how old, they are still our children.
    Parents are reluctant to give up their independence and it is hard to know what to do. We can council them but if they are not cognitively impaired they have the legal and moral right to make their own decisions, even if we don’t think it wise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems to me this is no minor thing for Jake to deal with. Is it safe for him to play soccor with only one kidney? (I realize you're not making the decision on that one.) High blood pressure in one so young is also very dangerous. All my supportive wishes are for you, Tom, and Jake as you work through this.

    It does sound like the time is near to make a decision on your mom. I don't envy any of you that task.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry about Jake and your mother Linda. I hope he can heal quickly and be up and about. I know what you are talking about with your mother. My husbands mother has fallen 3 times recently and we have been trying to convince her she needs to be in a safer place as well. We finally have her reluctantly convinced as she has been resisting as well. It is so hard on everyone and so I can really relate to your pain and frustration. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too am so sorry things have been so bad this week.I think the least the Sounders could have done was to win their opening game.I hope things only get better and better.Jere'

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you are having a lot of stress in your life at the present time. Hope you can soon rest and get a breather from it. I used to be the Administrator of an Assisted Living facility...it is a wonderful alternative to the aging parents who still are with it mentally and it increases socialization opportunities for them too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no..I am sorry I am so late, but I see that Jake did well and went home. How scary... and your Mom.. well I hope that she will see what help she really needs.....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear of Jake's difficulties. I hope by this time he's doing much better. He doesn't know me from Adam, but please tell him I was asking for him.

    And your mom...this is a tough time, isn't it? I feel for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear. Things happening all at once. I'm glad things worked out as well as they did.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.