Thursday, March 24, 2011

'No Signal'

When we came in from working outside this morning - yes, another mild morning- we had no communication! We bundle our services with Comcast, and for some unknown reason we lost all service. That means no phone, no TV, and worst of all, no Internet! I used my cell phone to call Comcast, and since there was no outage in the area, it must be here at the house. We have an appointment with the cable guy here tomorrow morning. We went off this afternoon to see Jake and take him a pot of spring flowers for his porch and a new Sounders rain jacket, which he can wear tomorrow night when we all go again to Qwest Field for another soccer match. Jake promised me that he would take it easy. He is OK, but experiencing a lot of fatigue. On the way back home, it occurred to me that I might be able to make Internet contact using my wireless mini, Suzie,as I call her, and a signal I used to "borrow" from a neighbor before we got a wireless router in our house. Sure enough, I picked up a weak signal downstairs. After dinner I brought Suzie upstairs to our home office and the signal is much stronger. Suzie is slow and harder to read and type on, but at least I'm connected! Now if I just had a way to watch my TV shows tonight. I guess we might have to go rent a movie. I know I'd never stay awake reading.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how we take our modern conveniences for granted until we don't have them? Let me know how all this turns out. We're considering a change to Comcast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we certainly take our conveniences for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we had the big earthquake in 2006, we lost all cable TV, internet, and phone service, so I can sympathize.

    The phone system was back on the same day, but we had no cable TV and Internet for several days. Cable takes longer to fix, I guess. For this reason, we are considering connecting our internet to the telephone. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the reason why we do keep a couple of regular plug in phones in case of emergency because if you don't have electricity, your wireless phones go down (I'm referring to Gigi's comment).

    I'm such a dummy that I'm not sure what you mean by mini. You did great on this post without your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Jake... I hope he feels 100% soon. I know it must be worrying you and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so hard to do without a computer and it is kind of scary to be without a phone. We have Comcast in VT and have not had problems. Here in FL, we have had nothing but problems with Comcast. I think it must have something to do with the number of squirrels constantly traversing the wires. This year we have Fios and it has been more reliable (buried wires).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice pictures!

    Sorry for the trouble with your Comcast service. If you need further assistance with your service, feel free to contact me. I work for Comcast.

    For those of you who are in need of assistance, you can contact me too.

    Have a great weekend!

    ComcastMark
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how having no connection make me feel so absolutely stranded!

    We lost ours the other day and Verizon was out here within an hour.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.