Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Summer Lingers

Here in the Pacific Northwest we waited for summer for a long time.  Finally, in August, it arrived. Now we've just had the most glorious Labor Day weekend.


That means back to school for kids and teachers and school staff all over the country.  Summer is over.


Tom and I had a quiet day yesterday.  I went for my walk early, before it heated up.  We read and napped and puttered. In the evening I needed to do something to mark this day as a turning point for so many, so we decided to drive over to Seahurst Park for a stroll and to watch the sun go down.

Picnickers lingered in the warm glow of the departing day.  Others were getting their kids home and to bed. I was experiencing a sense of melancholy, another summer over.  They do go too fast.
And yet for me, summer can linger.  I'm not going back to school and work.  I can enjoy these September days as the summer that came so late to us now seems in no hurry to leave us.

9 comments:

  1. People think that it is perpetual summer in Hawaii, but I think January is our coldest month. The morning temperature is often 50 degrees or lower. Brrr. Unfortunately, most of us do not have a heater, so we close the windows tightly and don our bathrobes and socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, what gorgeous photos! That's a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved these photos! I think you were so wise to want a way to mark the day. A few days ago, I was sensing that I had not really properly acknowledged the end of 'summer' and the beginning of autumn. When one does not go back to school as has been the habit for a lifetime, one senses things are just not quite right in the changes of the seasons. I like the idea of marking a day as a changing point when others go back to school. I think that would help me with the sense of loss that I have felt as summer ends this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful "marking" post, Linda. I love the pictures, and your new header is simply glorious. Goodbye to the summer fruits and hello to the fall colors...

    ReplyDelete
  5. there are benefits to being retired...lovely header and sunset photos. we too are enjoyed wonderful cooler weather...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous captures, Linda! We do indeed live in such a beautiful part of the world. Some seasons may be slow in getting to us, but when they do -- WOW! Enjoy your week. I know you must enjoy having your grandchildren and your daughter here in Seattle! How fun for all of you!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning pictures. We had a soggy Labor Day weekend, but we managed to grill the required burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice restful blog Linda. Glad you are enjoying the chance to relax - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos Linda...and there is something to be said for nice September days...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.