Wednesday, April 2, 2014

April Gardening

It was another dry day, with a sunny afternoon, perfect for getting more gardening jobs done on the long list Tom made on the weekend.

Today he dug the Lambs Ears edging on the rose bed so it can be thinned, weeded and replanted.
I sat on my bucket stool and sorted, picking out the grass and the marsh marigolds.  Those marsh marigolds have such pretty little flowers, but they are thugs in the garden, spreading by tiny bulb-lets into big spreading clumps. It was time to put them back in their place.

We pulled the saved Lambs Ear plants into the shade while we went in for lunch.
 Tom had the border replanted before I got off the computer.  I've been trying to keep up with the email directory of our growing garden club, as we make plans for spring and summer meetings.

Then we tackled the patio pot holding the Black Lace Sambucus. It is a large shrub when allowed to grow, but we are using it as a container plant as long as we can.  It needed to be root pruned and the soil renewed to make room for friends in the pot.

 I am doing what I can, probably too much, but I really need to get into the dirt!  I planted the "friends".
 I added  'Purple Shamrock' Hebe, a Heucherella 'Sweet Tea', and a grass, Libertia ixiodes 'Goldfinger"', plants I bought at Swanson's last week.
I tucked in a few pansies and violas I bought yesterday at Home Depot for some bright color, and then Tom cleaned up all the spilled soil.

 It's looking a little better now.  

15 comments:

  1. Hooray for getting your hands in the dirt! I bet it felt good, I just hope you don't overdo it. The Sambucus pot looks lovely. I got so much done in the garden this week, it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, what fun! I went out to the garden to water my peas today and ended up spending an hour still weeding. It sure feels good to get my hands in the dirt, so I understand how much you have missed it. Looks good, Linda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love visiting your garden...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking a little better? It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you two are amazing! Your garden is looking beautiful as always! So glad to see some sun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I am so jealous. We won't be able to play in the dirt for a few weeks, yet. I can start to prune, though.

    I, too, companion plant in pots -- I call it 'pot-scaping'. I love your selections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and Tom have been busy. We're still cleaning the dead stuff out of our beds...no planting yet, but our tulips are in full bloom. Don't you love spring? I can't wait for it to be a little warmer so we can get our new raised beds in the garden planted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work done by you. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy having fun in your garden. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how fun I need to do some repotting. Put some of our house plants outside-hope they survive the cool nights and warmer days-heading to the 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you are able to get your hands dirty. Had to laugh at your garden thugs. Mine thugs is Henbit. Rather pretty but my such vigor and aggressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, here, April 3 in VT, there is still snow on the ground. I had to get out boots and a jacket to get my tax info to the accountant. But the sun was shining.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, here, April 3 in VT, there is still snow on the ground. I had to get out boots and a jacket to get my tax info to the accountant. But the sun was shining.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.