Saturday, April 26, 2014

Tulip Time

Each year we try to get away for a trip up north to the Skagit Valley for the Tulip Festival.  We thought we might be a little late this year, and the weather forecast was not favorable when we headed north Tuesday, Earth Day.  We lucked out on both counts.

Our first stop in the valley is always Christianson's Nursery. We love this place, and always come away with some plants we really need. This time was no exception.

The nursery is located in close proximity to some of the bulb growing fields.








 The gift shop is always fun.








 The old school house on the nursery grounds hosts a local arts show.




From here we drove on valley roads over to the Roozengaarde Display Garden. Wow!  We were not too late at all.







 Along the outside of this fence was a small display of every kind of tulip in the garden. They are also for sale as bulbs next fall.




































 When the tulips begin to drop their petals, they are beheaded so that the strength of the plant goes into the bulb and not into seed production. 
 We missed some of the field color, but there was enough!
As you can see we enjoyed the beauty of the earth on Earth Day.

13 comments:

  1. Ah, I did miss my trip to the Tulip Festival this year!! Your terrific photos are the next best thing to being there, Linda!! Thanks for sharing all of that colorful beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just reminded me to run out to the garden to behead my tulips! The pictures are fantastic. The colors are so vivid it doesn't seem like they are real...there's usually not that much color in my environment! Thanks for sharing. I need to come see for myself next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing your photos, some day I'm going to make it up there for the Tulip Festival. Christianson's is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could grow tulips here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went on the Sunday before Easter. I recognize some of the tulips I saw in their later stages, still gorgeous and stunning! I sure love your pictures, Linda. Thank you for having so many. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could be in Holland. Spectacular photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those fields of blazing color are just breathtaking. Thanks for taking us that will probably never get there along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos it was almost like being there! I really enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I've never seen anything like that. It is unbelievable there could be that many tulips in that many different colors in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigh... This brings back such lovely memories and your photos allow me to relive that glorious experience. Gorgeous!!! Absolutely fabulous photos!!! Thank you, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who needs to go to Holland? These tulips displays are just as stunning, if not more so, as those in Keukenhof. I think next year I am putting this place on my list for a springtime trip. What a treat it was to see this.

    Loved the nursery too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous pictures! I haven't been up for the festival in years. Next year, I'll just have to do it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.