Saturday, April 12, 2014

Going Green

Every morning when I get up and open my upstairs bedroom window blinds, the first thing I see is the Fiddle Leaf Full Moon Maple tree.
 In winter its filigree of branches frequently holds perching chickadees. It is beautiful draped in snow or even raindrops.

In summer it is a leafy canopy.  In autumn it goes all orange and crimson.  Watching the daily color change is a great way to start the day.

But in spring the daily changes start ever so painfully slowly as the leaf buds take forever to swell and break, making me all the more impatient because this change heralds Spring, a new beginning!

And then, finally, the leaf buds seem to explode with greenness. And the tiny red flowers dangle from the leaf clusters.  

It is the greening time.



This maple made me more aware of other maples here and around the neighborhood.

The red leaf Japanese maple in the back yard is doing its own version of going green, and blooming.

There are so many beautiful blooming trees here this time of year, that the maples get overlooked.

What's greening up on this maple over at the park is not leaves at all, but lovely green flowers.



Big leaf maples also have a wonderful draping flower. Look at those leaf buds ready to erupt!
A red leaf maple had lovely red flower clusters.
But nothing quite heralds spring like the cottonwoods. About two weeks ago, as the leaf buds burst and shed their sticky husks, the scent of the sweet sap filled the air with springtime.  For about two weeks that fragrance wafted through the neighborhood.  I would breathe it deeply as I walked out to get the newspaper every morning.  On my daily walks I smiled as I passed under these trees. Some people say they make them sneeze.  They fill me with contentment.


Yes, it is the time that I call "The season of glowing greens", so many shades of green everywhere.

There is plenty of other color too. Here April showers bring April flowers.

Here's what's going on in front of the house along with the Full Moon Maple.
 The Viburnum burkwoodii has also burst into bloom, mixing its delicious scent with that of the native Oregon Grape.

There are vignettes  of color all over the yard now.
The first clump of trillium has now "faded" to purple.


                                Porch pansies
 Red trillium under the maple tree
And of course, out in the back, the tulips hold court.





Oh, and as I look out my upstairs office window right now, I see the first whitening of the bracts of the dogwood blooms, surrounded by new green leaves. 

And I just sneezed, too.  Ah Spring!

16 comments:

  1. We could call this the peak of spring with new leaves coming out and early flowers blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely new life sprouting out all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you sure know how to do spring in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen anything as beautiful and colorful as your yard. i especially love the "tulips holding court."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a short return after some time away. Your gardens look as lovely as always Linda. Have a happy spring time and summer - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say those photos are incredibly beautiful. You have a nice touch with the camera. And, yes, I did manage to see all of the photos. No blank boxes today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just lovely, we just got our yard trimmed for dead shrubs and it looks bare now especially compared to your lush greens. Our grass is green...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we are on the same wavelength, Linda. I can barely get myself to stop smiling as I see all the beauty around me. Your pictures are wonderful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Spring is truly here in our neck of the woods. We have several Japanese Maples and of course the ever present Vine Maples in and around our woods.
    Your gardens are beautiful and the bursting color amazing.
    32F and all frosty this morning but the sun has just come up over the hill behind us just now and it will be a glorious day. Today should be the day to see the Valley Tulips. Yours are sure beautiful. MB

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great shot of the bigleaf maple flower. It's such a great time of year. One of the first things I do in the morning is to peek out the window at my garden. I'm glad you're at least enjoying the beauty of your garden, even if you can't work in it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Olga said it best. You do know how to do spring in your neck of the woods. I could use some color about now. It is snowing here - again.

    I lone maples. Thanks for showcasing them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Spring has beautifully sprung. Our area is just getting the idea with new growth on the trees and Redbuds and Dogwood in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your yard is gorgeous. You reminded me that I planted trillium ... somewhere...maybe beneath the sugar maple??

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's amazing how many different kinds of maples there are and how beautifully their leaves burst open! I too love the smell of cottonwoods! If winter is ever weighing heavily upon your spirit, a few cottonwood branches cut and placed in water inside will produce leaves and the smell of spring in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gosh! These photos are so beautiful. Your Japanese maple reminds me of our tree in Illinois. I wonder how it's doing. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.