Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Sunday Morning Garden Touring

Peter, at fellow blogger at Outlaw Gardener, is always visiting Puget Sound area nurseries and posting them, with gorgeous photography, on his blog.  I met Peter last summer at our Open Garden.  When we got to talking we found out we were both bloggers and we have been following each other ever since.

Sunday morning I planned a little escape from the ordinary, as I need to do now and then.  We decided to head to two nurseries new to us that Peter had featured. They are all located around Puyallup, where Tom grew up. Tom is always a willing participant on my adventures.  I am very lucky that way.

First up is Alpine Nursery and Landscaping.

 We bought this plant because it has golden foliage in shade. ↓ And I have already forgotten what it is.  Oh dear.


                                                                Tree peonies





 We were especially interested in ideas for colorful shrubs for Jill's yard.






Next up was Vassey Nursery, down in the Puyallup River Valley. Right across the street is a field of rhubarb.

 The Japanese maples are almost as colorful in spring as they are in the fall.







 I always enjoy seeing how others put seasonal pots together.

              There is a great little gift shop. ↓





I am drawn to the colorful pots, especially blue.


Since we were not far away, and it was such a beautiful day, we decided to continue the fun into the afternoon with a stop at Watson's Greenhouse and Nursery, where we knew we could get lunch in the cafe.


 Watson's has a great little cafe. A salad for me....
 and a sandwich for Tom.
We continued to browse inside and outside, and as in the other two places, we bought a few things.







 We caught glimpses of Mt Rainier as we went from place to place.
 Then as we headed home across the valley, we were treated to this view!
We know it's a good day in Puget Sound Country when, as we say here, "The Mountain is out".  Was it ever!

18 comments:

  1. Wow! Just a wonderful way to spend the day. Now you've made me anxious to go to my local garden spot and spend some time and money. Soon!

    And that salad looks really good, Linda. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aralia cordata Sun King--fast growing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sue. This time I'll write it down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day! Three nurseries in one day! Wasn't the weekend weather just spectacular? I haven't eaten at Watson's since they revamped their menu. Your salad looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what gorgeous weather-love all the colors and springness...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! Be still, my heart! I love seeing all of those beautiful plants. Is the first one Clematis? I have tried to grow one but with no success. Thank you for sharing! My son lives very close to Kubota Garden and planned to go spend the day there on Sunday since the sun was going to be out. I am hoping he will eventually send me photos of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such yummy pictures and fabulous plants. Spring is here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a great time visiting these places! Your mountain picture is exceptional. I feel fortunate to have run into you at your garden open as my life has been enriched by following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, it was torture to look at your blog post today. Torture. I woke up to a snow covered scene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why you like going to these nurseries. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these pictures! You are so lucky to have a husband who enjoys going places like that with you. I would just about drive up there for that salad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad someone else forgets what they planted. How nice to find out via your blog.
    What a lovely day just surrounded by beauty. What a keeper Tom is to enjoy such a day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful day for nursery hopping. Such great colors everywhere. All the pots are gorgeous but I am kinda drawn to the blue ones also. It used to be red pots for me but I guess I have mellowed into blue.
    Did you make it up to see the Tulips yet? Go on a weekday if you can. The weekend traffic is horrendous.
    We didn't get to see the eclipse to cloudy but my daughter in Ritzville saw only parts because of the overcast there. Here blog address is ritzvilleranchlife.blogspot.com

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely way to spend a day. The pictures are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful places to shop! I enjoyed all your photos and the view of Mt Rainier was spectacular! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous day! That food looked incredible and I love seeing all the gorgeous plants. Jill is so lucky to have master gardeners helping her.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.